JNR Class ED60
The Class ED60 (ED60形) was a DC electric locomotive operated by Japanese National Railways (JNR) between 1958 and 1986. It was the first "second-generation" DC electric locomotive type featuring increased-power traction motors. Despite its diminutive size, the Bo-Bo wheel arrangement ED60 design offered performance comparable with the much larger Class EF15 1Co+Co1 design weighing almost twice as much.
Eight locomotives were built between 1958 and 1960 by Kawasaki, Kisha Seizō with Tōyō electrical components, and Mitsubishi. They were introduced on local freight services on the Ōito, Senzan, and Hanwa Lines, replacing earlier ED21, ED22, and ED38 class locomotives acquired when private railways had been absorbed into JNR. The class survived until early 1986 when freight was discontinued on these lines. ED60 1 is preserved at Nagano Depot.
|ED60 1||Mitsubishi||Aug 1958||Jan 1985|
|ED60 2||Kawasaki||Aug 1958||Dec 1984|
|ED60 3||Tōyō + Kisha Seizō||Sep 1958||2796||Dec 1984|
|ED60 4||Tōyō + Kisha Seizō||Nov 1959||2830||Mar 1986|
|ED60 5||Tōyō + Kisha Seizō||Dec 1959||2831||Feb 1986|
|ED60 6||Kawasaki||Oct 1959||Feb 1986|
|ED60 7||Kawasaki||Nov 1959||Mar 1986|
|ED60 8||Kawasaki||Mar 1960||Mar 1986|
- Inoue, Kōichi (1999). 国鉄機関車辞典 [JNR Locomotive Encyclopedia]. Japan: Sankaido. ISBN 978-4-381-10338-3.