JNR Class DF50
A pair of DF50s on a farewell tour in 1983
Class DF50 locomotives were intended for use on both passenger and freight services, and included a steam generator for train heating. They operated on the following lines, including use hauling "Blue Train" sleeping car services.
In later years, operations were restricted to Kyushu and Shikoku, with the remaining locomotives withdrawn in 1983, except for DF50 1, which later passed into JR Shikoku ownership.
The DF50 classification for this locomotive type is explained below.
- D: Diesel locomotive
- F: Six driving axles
- 50: Locomotive with maximum speed exceeding 85 km/h
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to JNR DF50.|
- JR全車輛ハンドブック1995 [JR Rolling Stock Handbook 1995] (in Japanese). Japan: Neko Publishing. 1995. p. 71.
- Inoue, Kōichi (1999). 国鉄機関車事典: 蒸気・電気・ディーゼル機関車66形式 国鉄機関車辞典 [JNR Locomotive Encyclopedia] (in Japanese). Japan: Sankaido. p. 182–183. ISBN 978-4-381-10338-3.
- Sasada, Masahiro (September 2012). 国鉄&JR保存車大全 [JNR & JR Preserved Rolling Stock Complete Guide] (in Japanese). Tokyo, Japan: Ikaros Publications Ltd. p. 34, 127. ISBN 978-4863206175.
- DF50 18が津山に向けて陸送される [DF50 18 moved to Tsuyama]. RM News (in Japanese). Japan: Neko Publishing Co., Ltd. 11 March 2015. Retrieved 11 March 2015.