JNR Class DE11
The Class DE11 (DE11形) is a five-axle C-B wheel arrangement diesel-hydraulic shunting locomotive type operated in Japan since 1968. A total of 116 locomotives were built between 1968 and 1979, and as of 1 April 2016, 10 locomotives remain in service, operated by East Japan Railway Company (JR East) and Japan Freight Railway Company (JR Freight).
JR Freight DE11 2001 in January 2011
- Class DE11-0: 65 locomotives built between 1968 and 1970
- Class DE11-1000: 46 locomotives built between 1970 and 1974 with uprated engines
- Class DE11-1900: One locomotive built in 1975 with experimental noise-reduction features
- Class DE11-2000: 4 locomotives built in 1979 with noise-reduction features
The Class DE11 was developed from the Class DE10 locomotive design, with the train-heating steam generator and multiple-working equipment removed and replaced with concrete ballast weight to increase the axle load from 13 t to 14 t to improve adhesion for use in shunting work.
One locomotive, numbered DE11 1901, was built in 1975, experimentally incorporating a number of features to reduce external noise for use in yards close to residential areas. Features included additional sound-insulating around the engine compartment and a noise reduction unit on the exhaust chimney.
Four Class DE11-2000 locomotives, numbered DE11 2001 to 2004 were built in 1979, incorporating some of the noise-reduction features tried out on DE11 1901. These locomotives also feature skirting to reduce noise. The locomotive length was increased from 14,150 mm (46 ft 5 in) to 16,650 mm (54 ft 8 in).
By 1 April 1995, 14 locomotives were still in service, with ten (nine DE11-1000 and DE11 1901) operated by East Japan Railway Company (JR East) and four (DE11-2000) operated by Japan Freight Railway Company (JR Freight)
The DE11 classification for this locomotive type is explained below.
- D: Diesel locomotive
- E: Five driving axles
- 11: Locomotive with maximum speed of 85 km/h or less
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to JNR DE11.|
- Jr機関車カタログ: Jr7社の現有30形式を詳しく解說 JR機関車カタログ [JR Locomotive Catalogue] (in Japanese). Japan: Ikaros Publications Ltd. 20 June 2013. p. 102–103. ISBN 9784863207271.
- Ishii, Yoshitaka (2004). Dd51物語: 国鉄ディーゼル機関車2400両の開発と活躍の足跡 DD51物語 [The DD51 Story] (in Japanese). Tokyo, Japan: JTB Can Books. p. 132–137. ISBN 978-4-533-05661-1.
- JR全車輛ハンドブック1995 [JR Rolling Stock Handbook 1995] (in Japanese). Japan: Neko Publishing. 1995. p. 582.
- Miyahara, Masakazu, ed. (December 2016). 国鉄最終章LAST (鉄道ジャーナル2017年2月号別冊) [JNR - The Final Chapter (Railway Journal February 2017 Extra issue)] (in Japanese). Japan: Railway Journal. p. 39. ASIN B01N59AJPB. ISSN 0288-2337.