JNR Class DD14
The Class DD14 (DD14形) was a B'B' wheel arrangement diesel-hydraulic locomotive type operated in Japan as a self-propelled rotary snowplough unit from 1961 to 2015 by the national railway company Japanese National Railways (JNR), and later by East Japan Railway Company (JR East). West Japan Railway Company (JR West), and Hokkaido Railway Company (JR Hokkaido).
JR East DD14 327 and 332 in action in February 2012
Based on the earlier Class DD13 6th-batch locomotives, the Class DD14 was a single-end-cab design with a rotary snowplough unit at the cab end. It was the first diesel-powered rotary snowplough built by JNR. The locomotives had two 500 hp (370 kW) diesel engines. One engine could be used for propulsion with the other driving the rotary snowplough unit, giving a snow-clearing capacity of approximately 3,000 tonnes per hour, or the unit could be operated in multiple with a second locomotive allowing both engines to drive the rotary snowplough, giving a snow-clearing capacity of approximately 4,000 tonnes per hour.
By 2005, only nine locomotives remained in service, all operated by JR East. The last remaining locomotives in service, DD14 327 and 332, based at JR East's Nagaoka Depot, made their final run on 24 February 2014.
As of 2012, three Class DD14 locomotives are preserved in Japan, with one locomotive sold to Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) in Taiwan.
The DD14 classification for this locomotive type is explained below.
- D: Diesel locomotive
- D: Four driving axles
- 14: Locomotive with maximum speed of 85 km/h or less
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to JNR DD14.|
- JR全車輛ハンドブック1995 [JR Rolling Stock Handbook 1995] (in Japanese). Japan: Neko Publishing. 1995. p. 62.
- JR全車輌ハンドブック2005 [JR Rolling Stock Handbook 2005] (in Japanese). Japan: Neko Publishing. August 2005. p. 648. ISBN 978-4-7770-0382-2.
- Ito, Hisami (June 2015). さらばDD14 [Farewell DD14]. Japan Railfan Magazine (in Japanese). 55 (650): 48–52.
- JR電車編成表 2013夏 [JR EMU Formations - Summer 2013] (in Japanese). Japan: Kotsu Shimbunsha. May 2013. p. 145. ISBN 978-4-330-37313-3.
- Sasada, Masahiro (September 2012). 国鉄&JR保存車大全 [JNR & JR Preserved Rolling Stock Complete Guide] (in Japanese). Tokyo, Japan: Ikaros Publications Ltd. p. 127. ISBN 978-4863206175.