J&R Kosher Meat and Delicatessen
J&R Kosher Meat and Delicatessen is a Montreal kosher butcher and delicatessen established in 1952 by Robert Nemes, a Holocaust survivor and immigrant from Romania. It is a landmark, currently at 5800 Cavendish Blvd in the heart of the city's Jewish community, J&R is the oldest and one of the most famous remaining kosher meat shops in Montreal. The store delivers its meat throughout Quebec and Ontario, and ships throughout the rest of Canada.
J&R Kosher's old storefront
Location within Montreal
|Food type||Jewish kosher style delicatessen|
|Street address||5800 Cavendish|
|Postal/ZIP Code||H4W 2T5|
|Website||J&R Kosher (official site)|
Shortly after immigrating to Canada from Romania, Nemes worked in a meat packing house during the day and at Schwartz's at night. He used his savings and a $400 loan to launch the business. As the company expanded, his son Sidney joined the business.
In 1978, to conform to Quebec's Bill 101, the store changed its name to Boucherie et Charcuterie Kascher J&R.
In 1996, the Van Horne store location was closed and all operations were transferred to the Cavendish Mall location, which was expanded to include two-floors, a full kitchen, an elevator, a smokehouse, and three coolers over 10,000 square feet.
Nemes still spends time working at J&R, as his son continues to add new items to the menu, including South African sausages, smoked meat hamburgers, and pulled beef - the kosher equivalent of pulled pork.
- "J & R Kosher Meat and Delicatessen Inc". Jewish pages of Canada. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- "J&R Kosher Meat and Delicatessen". Urbanspoon. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- "Online petition launched for kosher fare at Bell Centre". Canadian Jewish News. Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- Polak, Monique (Nov 6, 2012). "J&R Kosher: Sixty years of feeding Montreal". Montreal Gazette.
- "MK Certified Companies". mk.ca. Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- "J&R KOSHER MEAT". www.thesuburban.com. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- "New Products Showcase". mk.ca. Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- "J&R Kosher". Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs. Retrieved 12 April 2013.