Italian ship San Giusto
San Giusto (L 9894) is a San Giorgio-class amphibious transport dock of the Italian Navy. The ship was built by Fincantieri-Cantieri Navali SpA at Riva Trigoso, laid down on 19 August 1991, and launched on 23 October 1993.
San Giusto alongside at Malaga in 2003
|Builder:||Fincantieri-Cantieri Navali SpA, Riva Trigoso|
|Laid down:||19 August 1991|
|Launched:||2 December 1993|
|Commissioned:||14 April 1994|
|Motto:||Coragio no manca co' semo nel giusto|
|Notes:||Pennant number L 9894|
|Class and type:||San Giorgio-class amphibious transport dock|
|Length:||133 m (436 ft)|
|Beam:||20.5 m (67 ft)|
|Propulsion:||2 × Grandi Motori Trieste GMT A 420.12 diesel engines (12.426 kW)|
|Speed:||21 knots (39 km/h; 24 mph)|
|Range:||7,500 nautical miles (13,900 km; 8,600 mi) at 16 knots (30 km/h; 18 mph)|
|Boats & landing |
|Three LCM, three LCVP and a patrol craft|
|Capacity:||350 men with 30 medium tanks or 36 tracked armoured vehicles|
|Complement:||17 officers, 163 ratings|
|Sensors and |
|Electronic warfare |
|Elettronica SpA INS-3 ECM/ESM suite|
|Aircraft carried:||3 × AW-101 or 5 × Agusta Bell AB-212 helicopters|
- 1997: Operation Alba, during the Albanian Civil War
- 1999/2000: the ship was deployed to East Timor as part of the Australian-led INTERFET peacekeeping taskforce from 26 October 1999 to 15 February 2000.
- 2003: Operation Ancient Babylon/Operation Iraqi Freedom, support to Italian and coalition forces in Iraq
- June 2005: San Giusto was the flagship of Admiral Jonathon Band RN, during "Exercise Sorbet Royal", a NATO exercise in which ships from ten countries carried out simulated rescues from submerged submarines.
- 2008: DEEP BLUE/LONG KNIFE international exercise
- 2009: LOYAL MARINER 09 international exercise
- 2011: Operation Unified Protector, to support Libya coalition campaign
- 2012: flagship of Task Force Atalanta in Indian Ocean for anti-piracy rules
- 2014: Operation Mare Nostrum, to rescue refugees in Mediterranean Sea.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-02-07. Retrieved 2016-02-07.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Marina Militare: San Giusto : Assalto Anfibio - Classe San Giusto". marina.difesa.it (in Italian). 2013. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- Stevens, David (2007). Strength Through Diversity: The combined naval role in Operation Stabilise (PDF). Working Papers. 20. Canberra: Sea Power Centre - Australia. p. 14. ISBN 978-0-642-29676-4. ISSN 1834-7231. Archived from the original (PDF) on 12 March 2011. Retrieved 6 September 2010.
- "Sorbet Royal 2005 Submarine Rescue Exercise : ITS San Giusto". sorbetroyal2005.celex.net. 2005. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- "Sorbet Royal 2005 Submarine Rescue Exercise". sorbetroyal2005.celex.net. 2005. Retrieved 10 February 2013.