It Happened in Broad Daylight
Es geschah am hellichten Tag (English: It Happened in Broad Daylight) is a 1958 Swiss-German-Spanish thriller film directed by Ladislao Vajda. The original screenplay was written by Friedrich Dürrenmatt, a Swiss playwright and novelist, and the first incarnation of the film is still acclaimed by critics. Heinz Rühmann and Gert Fröbe both starred in the 1958 movie.
|Es geschah am hellichten Tag - El cebo|
|Directed by||Ladislao Vajda|
|Produced by||Lazar Wechsler|
Artur Brauner (co-producer)
|Written by||Friedrich Dürrenmatt|
|Music by||Bruno Canfora|
Praesens Film GmbH
|Distributed by||Deutsche Film Hansa|
The three films follow the same basic plot, where a senior police detective is detached to investigate the murder of a little girl. As the detective hopes for leads while talking with the mother of the murdered girl, he pledges to find her killer – and so, even after leaving the police force, he embarks upon buying a gasoline shop in the remote area where he hopes to find the criminal, and uses a little girl as bait to attract the killer.
- Heinz Rühmann - Oberleutnant Matthäi
- Sigfrit Steiner - Det. Feller
- Siegfried Lowitz - Lt. Heinzi
- Michel Simon - Jacquier
- Heinrich Gretler - Polizeikommandant
- Gert Fröbe - Schrott
- Berta Drews - Frau Schrott
- Ewald Balser - Professor Manz
- Roger Livesey - Professor Manz (voice: English version)
- María Rosa Salgado - Frau Heller
- Anita von Ow - Annemarie Heller
- Barbara Haller - Ursula Fehlmann
- Emil Hegetschweiler - Gemeindepräsident
Awards,Remakes & Adaptations
Remakes & Adaptations
In 1979,an Italian remake,directed by Alberto Negrin, under the title La promessa was released. In 1995,a Dutch remake,directed by Rudolf Van Den Berg, under the title The Cold Light of Day was released. In 1997,a German tv film remake,directed by Nico Hofmann,under the original title Es geschah am hellichten Tag was released. In 2001,an English remake,directed by Sean Penn,under the title The Pledgewas released. In 2018,a Tamil partial adaptation,directed by Ram kumar,under the title Ratsasan was released. In 2019,a Telugu remake of the above mentioned movie Ratsasan,directed by Ramesh Varma,under the title Rakshasudu was released.
Friedrich Dürrenmatt was not happy to see the detective proven successful at the end the story, so he wrote the novel Das Versprechen: Requiem auf den Kriminalroman (The Pledge: Requiem for the Detective Novel) from the existing film script. Das Versprechen differs from Es geschah am hellichten Tag by having the detective fail to identify the killer in the end because of the murderer's death in an auto accident. This failure ultimately leaves the detective a broken and witless old man.
American director Sean Penn made a fifth movie on the same theme, named The Pledge in 2001, starring Jack Nicholson and Helen Mirren. Penn's movie incorporates Das Versprechen's darker ending, as preferred by Dürrenmatt.
- "Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep: A Brief History of Child Murder in Cinema". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved 2019-09-09.
- "Filmportal: Es geschah am hellichten Tag (German)". Retrieved 2016-07-01.
- "IMDB.com: Awards for Es geschah am hellichten Tag". imdb.com. Retrieved 2010-01-01.