It's Never Too Late to Mend
It's Never Too Late to Mend (US release title Never Too Late) is a 1937 British melodrama film directed by David MacDonald and starring Tod Slaughter, Jack Livesey and Marjorie Taylor. In the film, a villainous squire and Justice of the Peace conspires to have his rival in love arrested on false charges.
|It's Never Too Late to Mend|
|Directed by||David MacDonald|
|Produced by||George King|
|Written by||H.F. Maltby |
Charles Reade (novel)
|Starring||Tod Slaughter |
|Music by||Jack Beaver|
|Edited by||John Seabourne Sr.|
George King Productions
It is based on the novel It Is Never Too Late to Mend by Charles Reade. The film was made at Shepperton Studios as a quota quickie for release by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. It was popular enough to be re-released in 1942.
The novel was adapted once before, as a British silent film in 1922, starring Russell Thorndike as Squire Meadows.
- Tod Slaughter as Squire John Meadows
- Jack Livesey as Tom Robinson
- Marjorie Taylor as Susan Merton
- Ian Colin as George Fielding
- Laurence Hanray as Lawyer Crawley
- D.J. Williams as Farmer Merton
- Roy Russell as Reverend Mr. Eden
- John Singer as Matthew Josephs
- Leonard Sharp as Bradshaw
- Mavis Villiers as Betty
- Cecil Bevan as Prison Inspector
- Douglas Stewart as Prison Inspector
- Jack Vyvian as Innkeeper
TV Guide wrote, "Great fun in the old cloak-and-dagger melodrama style...Played in an exaggerated, bigger-than-life manner, this melodrama is a good enough outing, particularly for fans of camp." and Sky Movies wrote, "As usual, Tod Slaughter ignores the intimacy of the film medium and roars through this movie at full throttle, giving the kind of marvellously storming performance that would easily have reached the back row of the upper circle...David Macdonald is more a referee than a conventional director, coming up with a highly entertaining slice of ripe and fruity hokum."
- "It's Never Too Late to Mend (1937)".
- "Never Too Late to Mend (1937) - David MacDonald - Synopsis, Characteristics, Moods, Themes and Related - AllMovie".
- "It's Never Too Late to Mend (1913) - - Synopsis, Characteristics, Moods, Themes and Related - AllMovie".
- Workman, Christopher; Howarth, Troy (2016). "Tome of Terror: Horror Films of the Silent Era". Midnight Marquee Press. p. 252.ISBN 978-1936168-68-2.
- "It's Never Too Late To Mend".
- "It's Never Too Late to Mend".