Heeney playing for Sydney in June 2017.
|Full name||Isaac Heeney|
|Date of birth||5 May 1996|
|Place of birth||Maitland, New South Wales|
|Original team(s)||Cardiff (BDAFL)|
|Draft||No. 18, 2014 national draft|
|Height||186 cm (6 ft 1 in)|
|Weight||85 kg (187 lb)|
|Position(s)||Midfielder / Forward|
|Current club||Sydney swans|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 2019.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
Heeney grew up in the Hunter Region of New South Wales and attended All Saints College before completing his education at Waverley College in Sydney while playing for the Swans Academy. He began playing soccer at the age of 7 and managed to kick 68 goals in 12 games. Shortly after he picked up a cricket bat and played an age level above his own. He had a batting average of 216. He also travelled with his school to compete in a Sydney rugby league tournament and scored 5 tries in his team's grand final victory.
Heeney played his junior football for the Cardiff Hawks in the Black Diamond Australian Football League. A highly rated junior player, he joined the Sydney Swans' academy at the age of 12 years and was selected by the Swans in the 2014 AFL draft. His selection was controversial in that the Melbourne Football Club bid their first selection, number 2 overall, for Heeney but under drafting rules at the time, the Swans were able to match with their first selection, which was 18th overall. As a result of this, and the similar round based bidding process used for father–son rule selections, the draft criteria was changed to a points based system to provide for a more equitable outcome.
Heeney later revealed he was the only student throughout his entire schooling that played Australian rules football and would have quit in favour of rugby league had the Swans' academy not existed. He grew up supporting the Swans and idolised Ryan O'Keefe as a child.
Heeney made his debut for Sydney at ANZ Stadium against Essendon in Round 1 of the 2015 season. He kicked his first AFL goal, which was also the match-winning goal and last in the match, late in the final quarter as the Swans came from 41 points down in the third quarter to win by 12 points. Following a 4-goal performance at the Sydney Cricket Ground in round 3, Heeney picked up an AFL Rising Star nomination as the Swans got off to an unbeaten start in the 2015 season.
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
- Maitland's Isaac Heeney delighted to play bigger role in Sydney Swans' midfield
- Parkinson, Andrew (22 March 2013). "Fledgling Swan Heeney takes first steps to AFL". The Maitland Mercury. Maitland, NSW. Retrieved 21 April 2015.
- King, Travis (16 February 2015). "Isaac Heeney 'just wants to play footy' as draft debate rages". afl.com.au News. Australia. Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- Backyard bruises gave hard edge to Heeney
- Isaac Heeney 'just wants to play footy' as draft debate rages
- Twomey, Callum (9 November 2014). "18 days to the draft: Meet Isaac Heeney". afl.com.au News. Australia. Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- "Father Son and Club Academy -- Selections Used at Bidding Meeting for Players for 2014 NAB AFL Draft". afl.com.au News. Australia. 6 October 2014. Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- "AFL Draft Value Index introduces points system for draft picks". ABC.net.au. Melbourne. 21 May 2015. Retrieved 21 May 2015.
- AAP (22 April 2015). "Isaac Heeney feeling at home with Sydney Swans in AFL debut season". ABC News (Australia). Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- Paolucci, Tanya (9 December 2014). "Five fits for Heeney". sydneyswans.com.au. Retrieved 17 November 2019.
- Sygall, David (3 April 2015). "Sydney Swans rookie Isaac Heeney to debut against 'red-hot' Essendon Bombers". The Sydney Morning Herald. Australia. Retrieved 21 April 2015.
- Adaimy, Roje (4 April 2015). "Longmire applauds tough Bombers after win". The West Australian. Perth, WA. Retrieved 5 April 2015.
- Pengilly, Adam (20 April 2015). "Sydney Swans rookie Isaac Heeney set to cross off another state after Rising Star nomination". The Sydney Morning Herald. Australia. Retrieved 21 April 2015.
- "Isaac Heeney stats". AFL Tables. Retrieved 1 November 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Isaac Heeney.|
- Isaac Heeney's profile on the official website of the Sydney Swans
- Isaac Heeney's playing statistics from AFL Tables