The Irish Examiner, formerly The Cork Examiner and then The Examiner, is an Irish national daily newspaper which primarily circulates in the Munster region surrounding its base in Cork, though it is available throughout the country.
|Owner(s)||The Irish Times|
|Headquarters||Linn Dubh, Blackpool, Cork|
80 Oliver Plunkett Street, Cork
The paper was founded by John Francis Maguire under the title The Cork Examiner in 1841 in support of the Catholic Emancipation and tenant rights work of Daniel O'Connell. Historical copies of The Cork Examiner, dating back to 1841, are available to search and view in digitised form at the Irish Newspaper Archives website and British Newspaper Archive.
The newspaper, along with 'sister paper' the Evening Echo, was part of the Thomas Crosbie Holdings group. Thomas Crosbie Holdings went into receivership in March 2013. The newspaper was acquired by Landmark Media Investments.
The newspaper was based at Academy Street, Cork for over a century, before moving to new offices at Lapp's Quay, Cork in early November 2006, and subsequently to editorial offices at Blackpool, Cork, with a sales office in Oliver Plunkett Street.
In May 2017, it was reported that Sunrise Media and The Irish Times were exploring an acquisition, and in December 2017, a sale was agreed to The Irish Times - pending regulatory approval. The sale to the Irish Times was completed in July 2018.
Average print circulation was approximately 57,000 copies per issue in 1990, had risen to 62,000 by 1999, had decreased to 50,000 by 2009, and was approximately 28,000 by 2017. Reflecting a changing trend in newspaper sales, the Examiner markets to advertisers on the basis of its print and online audience, stating in 2017 that "236,000 people read the Irish Examiner in print or online every day".
- "Paid Newspapers - Republic of Ireland - Irish Examiner - Jul to Dec 2018" (PDF). abc.org.uk. Audit Bureau of Circulations.
- Ireland in the Nineteenth Century by Leon Litvack, Glenn Hooper.Four Courts Press, 2000.(pg.38)
- Digitised copies of The Cork Examiner
- Fearghal McGarry (May 2002). "Irish Newspapers and the Spanish Civil War". Irish Historical Studies. 33 (129): 83. JSTOR 30006956.
After the war, Bishop Fogarty of Killaloe complained that only the Irish Independent and the Cork Examiner had given Franco "unflinching and unequivocal support
- "The Evening Echo and The Irish Examiner". www.askaboutireland.ie. Archived from the original on 21 November 2017.
- John Horgan (2001). Irish Media: A Critical History since 1922. Routledge. pp. 6, 190. ISBN 9781134606160.
- "Receiver appointed to publisher of Irish Examiner - RTÉ News". RTÉ.ie. 6 March 2013. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- Europa World Year Book 2004.Taylor & Francis Group,2004. (See section "Ireland-The Press",pg. 2223)
- "Irish Examiner editor announces he is to step down in October". BreakingNews.ie. 2 August 2016.
- "Independent News & Media holds exploratory talks over Irish Examiner". TheTimes.co.uk. 26 February 2017.
- "Irish Times may bid for Examiner". BusinessPost.ie. 26 March 2017.
- "Irish Times and INM enter sales process for Examiner". BusinessPost.ie. 16 April 2017.
- "The Irish Times to acquire Landmark Media business". Irish Examiner. 6 December 2017.
- "Newspaper proprietor Ted Crosbie enters Cork Person of the Year Hall of Fame". Irish Examiner. 20 January 2018.
- "Irish Times completes purchase of Irish Examiner". rte.ie. RTÉ News. 10 July 2018.
- "Circulation - News Brands Ireland". Newsbrandsireland.ie. Retrieved 11 February 2018.
- "Paid Newspapers - Republic of Ireland - Irish Examiner - Jan to Jun 2017" (PDF). abc.org.uk. Audit Bureau of Circulations.
- "Rates - Examiner - 2017" (PDF). Irish Examiner. Archived from the original (PDF) on 11 February 2018.
- "Big drop for the Evening Herald". 31 August 2006.
- Conor Doyle (21 February 2013). "Morning Newspapers ABC July-Dec 2012 - SEO Ireland, Search Engine Optimisation, Media and Marketing Consulting". Ilevel.ie. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- "Paid Newspapers - Republic of Ireland - Irish Examiner - Jul to Dec 2013" (PDF). abc.org.uk. Audit Bureau of Circulations.
- Conor Doyle. "Morning Newspaper Circulation Jan June 2014 - SEO Ireland, Search Engine Optimisation, Media and Marketing Consulting". ilevel.ie. Archived from the original on 26 August 2014.
- "ABC Circulation Jan June 2015". ilevel.ie. Archived from the original on 6 September 2015. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "Paid Newspapers - Republic of Ireland - Irish Examiner - Jan to Jun 2016" (PDF). abc.org.uk. Audit Bureau of Circulations.
- "Paid Newspapers - Republic of Ireland - Irish Examiner - Jul to Dec 2016" (PDF). abc.org.uk. Audit Bureau of Circulations.
- "Irish Newspaper Circulation July-Dec 2017 Island of Ireland Report". ilevel.ie.
- "Paid Newspapers - Republic of Ireland - Irish Examiner - Jan to Jun 2018" (PDF). abc.org.uk. Audit Bureau of Circulations.
- Irish Newspaper Circulation Jan-June 2019 Island of Ireland Report
- Irish Media: A Critical History Since 1922, John Horgan, Routledge, 2001
- Remember When - Pictures from the Irish Examiner Archive, Collins Press, 2010