The Invincible class (also known as Type 218SG) is a submarine class ordered by the Republic of Singapore Navy from ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems. These submarines, along with the previously acquired Archer-class, will replace Singapore's Challenger-class submarines.
|Builders:||ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems, Kiel|
|Preceded by:||Archer class|
|Cost:||<$1 billion USD|
|Displacement:||2,200 tonnes submerged, 2,000 tonnes surfaced|
|Installed power:||2x120kW PEM fuel cells|
|Speed:||15 kt submerged, 10 kt surfaced|
|Armament:||8 torpedo tubes|
|Notes:||Delivery expected in 2020|
The customised design is oceangoing and larger than the Challenger-class and Archer-class submarines operated by the Singapore Navy. The design is expected to be influenced by the export Type 214 submarine or Type 216 submarine, which have been designed for the potential needs of several other navies (Australian, Canadian and Indian). Features will include AIP and a combat system designed by both Atlas Elektronik and ST Electronics. The Invincible class also features an "X" rudder "which offers enhanced manoeuvrability in confined littoral waters, as opposed to the Type 214's cruciform rudder arrangement."
DCNS competed to supply 3 submarines to the Singapore Navy for $1.8 billion.
On 16 May 2017, Singapore defence minister Ng Eng Hen announced an order of 2 more Type 218SG submarines for a total of 4. The first 2 will be delivered in 2021 and 2022, while the remaining 2 will be delivered from 2024.
The first Type 218SG submarine, named RSS Invincible, was officially launched during a ceremony in Kiel on 18 February 2019.
Ships in class
|RSS Invincible||18 February 2019||Launched|
|RSS Impeccable||Under construction|
|RSS Illustrious||Under construction|
|RSS Inimitable||Under construction|
- Coates, Peter. "Key TKMS Type 218SG details revealed after partial unveiling". Submarine Matters. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- Rahmat, Ridzwan (19 February 2019). "Singapore discloses further details of Invincible-class submarines". Jane's 360. Singapore. Archived from the original on 19 February 2019. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- Singapore’s Type-218SG – Forerunner of a new Submarine Class?
- Singapore Contracts for 2 New German Subs
- Singapore: German Subs’ Strategic Value
- Singapore Buys New Class of German Attack Submarines
- S'pore to buy two brand new subs
- UPDATE 1-ThyssenKrupp wins submarine order from Singapore
- "MINDEF Signs Contract to Acquire Two More Submarines" (Press release). Ministry of Defence of Singapore. 16 May 2017. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- "Singapore Navy's First Invincible-Class Submarine Launched" (Press release). Ministry of Defence of Singapore. 18 February 2019. Retrieved 18 February 2019.