An international parliament or supranational legislature is a branch of an intergovernmental organization tasked with legislative powers and thus establishing a hybrid system of not only intergovernmentalism, but also supranationalism. It could be based on a predecessor inter-parliamentary institution or a newly established organization-level legislature.
Such branches of intergovernmental organizations are typically established in order to provide for representation of citizens, rather than governments who are represented in other bodies within the organization. The assembly can be composed of members of the national legislatures (whose members are directly elected in most cases) or of its own directly elected members, further strengthening the supranationalism of the organization.
List of international parliaments
|Name||Sessions||Legislative power||Direct election||Related organization and notes|
|ASEAN Inter Parliamentary Assembly||1977 -||no||no||Association of Southeast Asian Nations|
|Inter-Parliamentary Union||1889 -||no||no||none|
|Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE)||1949 -||no||no||CoE|
|European Parliament[note 1]||1952 -||1970||1979||EU|
|Nordic Council||1953 -||no||no||none|
|Benelux Parliament||1955 -||no||no||Benelux Union|
|Assembly of the Western European Union||1955-2011||no||no||WEU that dissolved and was effectively succeeded by the EU.|
|NATO Parliamentary Assembly||1955 -||no||no||NATO|
|Latin American Parliament||1964 -||no||no||none [note 2]|
|African Parliamentary Union||1976 -||no||no||none|
|Andean Parliament||1979 -||no||no||CAN|
|British Irish Parliamentary Assembly||1990 -||no||no||none [note 3]|
|Central American Parliament||1991 -||no||1991 -||SICA|
|Baltic Assembly||1991 -||no||no||none|
|Parliamentary Assembly of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe||1992 -||no||no||OSCE|
|Inter-Parliamentary Assembly of the Commonwealth of Independent States||1992 -||no||no||CIS|
|Parliamentary Union of the OIC Member States||1999 -||no||no||OIC|
|Asian Parliamentary Assembly||1999 -||no||no||none [note 4]|
|ACP–EU Joint Parliamentary Assembly||2000 -||no||no||none [note 5]|
|East African Legislative Assembly||2001 -||no||no||EAC|
|Inter-Parliamentary Assembly of the Eurasian Economic Community||2002 -||no||no||EurAsEC|
|Arab Parliament||2004 -||no||no||AL|
|Pan African Parliament||2004 -||no [note 6]||no [note 6]||AU|
|Euro-Latin American Parliamentary Assembly||2006 -||no||no||none [note 7]|
|Mercosur Parliament||2007 -||no||2014 [note 8]||Mercosur|
|Parliamentary Assembly of Turkic-speaking Countries||2008 -||no||no||Cooperation Council of Turkic Speaking States|
|Assembly of Caribbean Community Parliamentarians||no||CARICOM|
|Inter-Parliamentary Committee of the West African Economic and Monetary Union||no||UEMOA|
|Parliament of the Economic Community of West African States||no||ECOWAS|
|Parliamentary Assembly of French-speaking countries||no||no||OdLF|
|Euro-Mediterranean Parliamentary Assembly||2004 - 2010[note 9]||no||no||none [note 10]|
|Parliamentary Assembly of the Union of the Mediterranean (PA-UfM)[note 11]||2010 -||no||no||Union of the Mediterranean|
|Parliamentary Assembly of the Mediterranean (PAM)||2005 -||no||no||none|
|Euronest Parliamentary Assembly||2011||no||no||none [note 12]|
|South American Parliament||proposed||USAN|
|United Nations Parliamentary Assembly||proposed||UN|
|Parliamentary assembly of the World Trade Organization||proposed||WTO|
- The initially consultative European Parliamentary Assembly of ECSC, EEC and Euratom subsequently was renamed, gained legislative powers and became directly elected.
- Multiple regional organizations in Latin America such as the Rio Group, Latin American Economic System and Latin American Integration Association have similar membership.
- Multiple regional organizations in the British Isles have similar membership.
- The Asian Cooperation Dialogue continental organization has similar membership.
- Parliamentary Assembly established by the Cotonou Agreement between the European Union and the African, Caribbean and Pacific Group of States.
- There are proposals to transform the Pan African Parliament into a directly elected international parliament with legislative powers.
- Established by the parliaments of the European Union, Mercosur, Andean Community, Central American Integration System, Mexico, Chile and the Latin American Parliament.
- The Mercosur Parliament is expected to transform into a directly elected international parliament in 2014.
- Absorbed by the Pundarliamentary Assembly of the Union of the Mediterranean.
- Related to the Euro-Mediterranean Partnership initiative of the EU's European Neighborhood Policy.
- Absorbing the Euro-Mediterranean Parliamentary Assembly
- Related to the Eastern Partnership initiative of the EU's European Neighborhood Policy.