International Marine Contractors Association
International Marine Contractors Association (IMCA) is a leading international trade association for the marine contracting industry. It is a not for profit organisation with members representing the majority of worldwide marine contractors in the oil and gas and renewable energy industries. IMCA was formed by the merger of the Association of Offshore Diving Contractors (AODC) with the Dynamically Positioned Vessel Owners Association (DPVOA) in 1995.
|Headquarters||52 Grosvenor Gardens|
London SW1W 0AU
|Allen Leatt (Chief Executive)|
Richard Benzie (Technical Director)
IMCA represents over 1,000 member organisations in over 60 countries. Their 2014-2019 Vision and Strategy document states that their mission includes improving performance in the marine contracting industry by championing better regulation and delivering good practice and technical guidance to enhance operational integrity.
IMCA operates five geographic regional sections (in Asia-Pacific, Central & North America, Europe & Africa, Middle East & India and South America). IMCA has a full-time secretariat in London that organises and manages the various regional and technical committees which form the principal means to achieve its mission. The extensive committee structure consists of elected member representatives who are expert in their field of operation.
As a trade association, IMCA is required to comply with international competition law and represents the industry on national and international forums.
Publications and documents
IMCA has developed a comprehensive body of knowledge in the form of a suite of over 250 published guidance documents, technical information notes, DVDs and safety promotional materials which are internationally recognised as authoritative and establish standards of good practice in the marine contracting industry.
IMCA has published guidance documents in the following fields:
IMCA organises an annual programme of meetings and events all over the world, including regional meetings, briefing sessions, workshops on specific industry related issues, and an Annual Seminar open to all members. In addition, many smaller technical meetings take place to further the work of the association. IMCA also supports a number of conferences and exhibitions hosted by other organisations which share a common interest of its members.
- 1972 - Association of Offshore Diving Contractors AODC founded
- 1990 - Dynamically Positioned Vessel Owners Association DPVOA, and AODC Middle East Section founded
- 1995 - AODC and DPVOA merged to form IMCA
- 1997 - Offshore Survey Division formed
- 1999 - Observer status granted at the International Maritime Organization
- 1999 - IMCA Asia-Pacific Section founded
- 2000 - Middle East Section extended to include India
- 2002 - Americas Deepwater Section founded (later to become Central & North America Section)
- 2003 - Europe & Africa Section founded
- 2009 - South America Section founded
Past IMCA Presidents
- 2015–present: Bruno Faure, Technip
- 2013-2014: Massimo Fontolan, Saipem
- 2011-2012: Andy Woolgar, Subsea 7
- 2009-2010: Johan Rasmussen, Acergy
- 2007-2008: Knut Boe, Technip
- 2005-2006: Frits Janmaat, Allseas Group
- 2003-2004: Steve Preston, Heerema Marine Contractors
- 2001-2002: John Smith, Halliburton Subsea/Subsea 7
- 1999-2000: Donald Carmichael, Coflexip Stena Offshore
- 1997-1998: Hein Mulder, Heerema Marine Contractors
- 1995-1996: Derek Leach, Coflexip Stena Offshore
- Staff. "Member Directory". International Marine Contractors Association. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- Staff (2014). "Vision & Strategy 2014 - 2019" (PDF). International Marine Contractors Association. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- Staff. "IMCA Regions". About IMCA. International Marine Contractors Association. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- staff (2005). "International Marine Contractors Association publishes 2003 safety statistics". South Pacific Underwater Medicine Society (SPUMS) Journal. 35 (2). Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- Staff. "Safety, Environment & Legislation". International Marine Contractors Association. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- Staff. "Publications catalogue" (PDF). IMCA. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- Staff. "Training & Certification". Diving. International Marine Contractors Association. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- Staff. "IMCA History". International Marine Contractors Association. Retrieved 7 July 2016.