International Forum of Public Universities
The International Forum of Public Universities (IFPU) [French: Forum international des universités publiques (FIUP)] is a consortium of twenty-three public universities.
In 2004, discussions among foreign university chiefs who had been invited to receive honorary degrees at the Université de Montréal’s quasquicentennial led to a subsequent conference in Belgium and the decision to establish a formal association.
Bringing together a limited number of universities from diverse countries, the forum was founded on October 11, 2007, at the Université de Montréal with the mission of "promoting the expression of values that underlie the mission of public universities in an era of internationalization".
In 2008, the consortium included 13 of the world's 200 top universities according to Times Higher Education rankings. Each year, a specialized summer school is hosted by one of its member universities.
Enhancing mutual understanding, integrating possible resources for supporting teachers, and facilitating the application of joint research projects in accordance with international influential events or organizations.
Meetings have been attended by World Bank experts in tertiary education.
- October 11, 2007 at Université de Montréal
- November 8–9, 2008 at Peking University, linked with the Beijing forum
- “Technological Innovation, Social Transformation and Competitiveness of Public Universities,” 7th annual meeting at Nankai University, Tianjin, October 28, 2013
- 10th Summer Doctoral School at Nankai University, Tianjin, June10–15 2018
- Universidad de Buenos Aires (Argentina)
- Université Libre de Bruxelles (Belgium)
- Universidade de São Paulo (Brazil)
- Université de Montréal (Canada)
- Universidad de Chile (Chile)
- Nankai University (China)
- Peking University (China)
- Charles University (Czech Republic)
- University of Paris III: Sorbonne Nouvelle (France)
- University of Freiburg (Germany)
- Jawaharlal Nehru University (India)
- Università di Bologna (Italy)
- Nagoya University (Japan)
- Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (Mexico)
- Mohammed V University at Agdal (Marocco)
- Universitatea din Bucuresti (Romania)
- Lomonosov Moscow State University (Russia)
- Université Cheikh Anta Diop (Senegal)
- Universitat de Barcelona (Spain)
- Université de Genève (Switzerland)
- University of California (United States)
- Union of International Associations / Union des Associations Internationales (2017-07-19), "International Forum of Public Universities", The Yearbook of International Organizations (Continuing resource (integrating)), Biggleswade, Bedfordshire: Brill, Open Yearbook, ISSN 2211-3010, retrieved 2019-08-07.
- Labi, Aisha (2007-10-03), "New Association Seeks to Forge Bonds Among Public Universities Around the World", The Chronicle of Higher Education (Global), Washington, D.C., retrieved 2019-08-07.
- IFPU: Mission Statement Archived 2008-09-26 at the Wayback Machine (Retrieved February 1, 2009)
- "Thirteen members of the IFPU among the 200 best universities in the world" (Published November 10, 2008)
- IFPU: Summer School on Cultural Diversity, Bologna June 23-28, 2008 (Retrieved February 1, 2009)
- University of Bologna - Summer school on Cultural Diversity, 2008
- World Bank - Tertiary Education - News & Events (Retrieved February 1, 2009)
- "Final Program: 2nd Meeting of the International Forum of Public Universities" (Retrieved February 1, 2009)