|Directed by||Claude Chabrol|
|Produced by||Marin Karmitz|
|Written by||Claude Chabrol|
|Music by||Matthieu Chabrol|
|Edited by||Monique Fardoulis|
Télévision Suisse-Romande (TSR)
|Box office||$5.3 million|
The titular inspector travels to a small coastal town to investigate the puzzling death of a devout and wealthy Roman Catholic writer who is found murdered on a beach with the word pig written on his back. When Inspector Lavardin arrives to investigate, he discovers that the widow, Helene, is an old flame he hasn't seen in 20 years. In the course of his probings, Lavardin inadvertently uncovers several metaphorical skeletons in the closet.
|Jean Poiret||Inspecteur Jean Lavardin|
|Jean-Claude Brialy||Claude Alvarez|
|Bernadette Lafont||Hélène Mons|
|Jean-Luc Bideau||Max Charnet|
|Jacques Dacqmine||Raoul Mons|
|Hermine Clair||Véronique Manguin|
|Pierre-François Dumeniaud||Marcel Vigoroux|
From Caryn James of The New York Times:
|“||In the long, healthy career of Claude Chabrol, from his New Wave classic The Cousins through his sumptuous Madame Bovary, which opened yesterday, Inspector Lavardin is a trifle. But this lighthearted detective movie shows that trifling entertainments do not have to be hack work. This wily film has first-rate appeal and plays into some cherished stereotypes about the French: it is blase, stylish, filled with effortless charm... [T[here is nothing self-conscious about this cleverly sophisticated but straightforward use of the detective genre. Perhaps that is why, when the murderer is revealed, the episode is too Hitchcockian for its own good. It would take a lot more irony or homage to pull this off.||”|
From Fred Camper of The Chicago Reader:
- "Inspecteur Lavardin". Retrieved 2015-12-15.
- "Inspecteur Lavardin". Rotten Tomatoes.
- James, Caryn (1991-12-26). "Movie Review - Inspector Lavardin - Review/Film; On Buffing and Polishing Even the Stereotypes - NYTimes.com". Movies.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2011-10-31.
- Camper, Fred. "Inspecteur Lavardin". Chicago Reader. Retrieved 2011-10-31.
- "Inspecteur Lavardin: Jean Poiret, Jean-Claude Brialy, Bernadette Lafont: Movies & TV". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2011-10-31.