The Institut national de la santé et de la recherche médicale (Inserm, French pronunciation: [insɛʁm]) is the French National Institute of Health and Medical Research.
|Claire Giry (interim)|
History and organisation
Inserm was created in 1964 as a successor to the French National Institute of Health.
Inserm is the only public research institution solely focused on human health and medical research in France. It is a public institution with a scientific and technical vocation under the dual auspices of the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Research. Similarly to the US National Institutes of Health, Inserm conducts fundamental and translational research projects through 339 research units, run by around 13,000 scientists, including 5,100 permanent research staff members and 5,100 staff members co-affiliated with university hospitals and medicine faculties. Inserm's laboratories and research units are located all over France, mainly in the largest cities. Eighty percent of Inserm research units are embedded in research hospitals of French universities.
Inserm's CEO is chosen by decree upon a proposal of the Ministers of Health and Research, advised by a review committee. The CEO since January 2019 is Gilles Bloch, a doctor and researcher specializing in medical imaging.
Two Inserm research scientists have been awarded by the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine. In 1980, the French immunologist Jean Dausset received the Nobel prize (along with Baruj Benacerraf and George Davis Snell), for his work on the discovery and characterisation of the genes making the major histocompatibility complex. In 2008, the French virologist Françoise Barré-Sinoussi was awarded, together with her former mentor Luc Montagnier, for the identification of the human immunodeficiency virus.
Grand prix de l'Inserm
Each year, Inserm awards three researchers in three major distinct categories. The Grand prix de l'Inserm recognizes major advancements in biology for an active researcher of the institution, the Grand prix d'honneur recognizes a French public institution's researcher whose contributions have had a major impact in science, and the Prix étranger (Foreign Prize) awards a foreign researcher for their particular contributions to biomedical research. In addition the Inserm has internal awards for engineers and young researchers.
|Year||Grand prix||Prix d'honneur||Prix étranger|
|2018||Alain Tedgui||Antoine Triller||Elisabetta Dejana|
|2017||Edith Heard||Claude-Agnès Reynaud and Jean-Claude Weill||Marie-Paule Kieny|
|2016||Jean-Laurent Casanova||Catherine Barthélémy||Linda Fried|
|2015||Pier-Vincenzo Piazza||Étienne-Émile Baulieu||Peter Piot|
|2014||Anne Dejean||William Vainchenker||Leszek Borysiewicz|
|2013||Stanislas Dehaene||Daniel Louvard||Ogobara Doumbo|
|2012||Philippe Sansonetti||Jean-Paul Soulillou||Ingrid Grummt|
|2011||Alain Prochiantz||Ethel Moustacchi||Susan Gasser|
|2010||Didier Raoult||Eliane Gluckman||Denis Duboule|
|2009||Yehezkel Ben-Ari||Nicole Le Douarin||Nora Volkow|
|2008||Alain Fischer||Alim-Louis Benabid||Tomas Lindahl|
|2007||Christine Petit||Pierre Ducimetière||Mina Bissel|
|2006||Pierre Corvol||Ketty Schwartz||Zhu Chen|
|2005||Bernard Malissen at the CIML||Jacques Glowinski||David P. Lane|
|2004||Jean-Marc Egly||Pierre Chambon||Harvey Alter|
Notes and references
- About INSERM n.d., retrieved 16 June 2018.
- France may be back, but the old ways persist for INSERM. The Lancet, Volume 391, Issue 10138, p 2390, retrieved 16 June 2018.
- Gilles Bloch, Inserm Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, takes office.
- "Scimago Institutions Rankings". www.scimagoir.com. Retrieved 2019-07-26.
- "Edith Heard, Specialist in Epigenetics, Awarded the 2017 Inserm Grand Prize". Newsroom | Inserm. 2017-11-13. Retrieved 2018-10-09.
- 2016 Inserm awards laureates on the INSERM website retrieved Dec 4th 2016.
- Lauréats des prix Inserm 2015 de la recherche médicale on the INSERM website retrieved Nov 23rd 2015.
- Lauréats des prix Inserm 2014 de la recherche médicale on the INSERM website retrieved Dec 14th 2014.
- Lauréats du Grand Prix 2013 de la recherche médicale on the INSERM website retrieved Nov 22nd 2013.
- Lauréats du Grand Prix 2012 de la recherche médicale on the INSERM website retrieved Nov 21st 2012.
- Lauréats du Grand Prix 2011 de la recherche médicale Archived 2011-12-05 at the Wayback Machine on the INSERM website retrieved Dec 06th 2011.
- Lauréats du Grand Prix de la recherche médical on the INSERM website retrieved Nov 30th 2010
- Lauréats du Grand Prix de la recherche médical on the INSERM website retrieved Nov 24th 2009
- Lauréats du Grand Prix de la recherche médical on the INSERM website retrieved on Dec 2nd 2008
- Official website (English)