Innerwick (Scottish Gaelic: Inbhir Mhuice) is a coastal civil parish and small village, which lies in the east of East Lothian, 5 miles (8.0 km) from Dunbar and approximately 32 miles (51 km) from Edinburgh.
|OS grid reference||NT718738|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Innerwick Castle was originally a Stewart stronghold, then passed to a grandson of Walter fitz Gilbert de Hamilton, and remained in the Hamilton family, until its destruction. Alongside nearby Thornton Castle, a fortalice owing allegiance to the Earls of Home, it was destroyed after a siege by the invading forces of the Duke of Somerset, during the Rough Wooing.
Alexander Carse, the painter, is said to have been baptised here in 1770, although the village itself is not of such great antiquity; the old primary school, village hall and Parish Church all date from around 1784. The majority of the buildings created at this time are made from sandstone. A large number of the buildings in Innerwick are listed as having architectural or historical importance.
The village and surrounding area have been designated as a conservation area, which strictly controls development in the surrounding area, helping the village stay as small and well preserved as it is.
It has an outdoor centre which was formerly the old school and schoolhouse. This has recently undergone refurbishment and modernisation and is regularly used by schools in the county, as well as groups from further afield.
James William Hunter of Thurston Manor FRSE is buried in Innerwick churchyard, as is Sir John Dunlop Imrie FRSE CBE.
- Balfour Pauls, Scots Peerage volIII, p.342
- Lucy Dixon, ‘Carse, Alexander (bap. 1770, d. 1843)’, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004; online edn, Oct 2006 accessed 12 Oct 2013
- Groome's Gazetteer online
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Innerwick.|