(as the Independent)
|Headquarters||Helena, Montana, U.S.|
The roots of the IR lie in two newspapers founded in 1867, the weekly Independent of Deer Lodge and the daily Herald of Helena. The Independent soon moved to Helena and began daily publication in 1874. The Herald later merged with the Montana Daily Record, which was founded in 1900. The new publication was renamed the Montana Herald-Record. And in 1943, another merger followed: this time with the Independent, to become the Independent Record.
After over thirty years of ownership by the Anaconda Copper Mining Company, the IR was sold to Lee Enterprises in 1959. The IR converted from hot metal to phototype in 1973, and in 1975 installed one of the first newsroom computer systems. In the summer of 2002, a new press plant was opened and housed in a new 30,000-square-foot (2,800 m2) printing and distribution center.
- Publisher: Anita Fasbender
- Editor: Jesse Chaney
- Sales Manager: Erica Yakawich
- Circulation Director: Steve Biere
- Digital Editor: Eric Seidle