Inis Mac nEirinn
Jetties at Tawnytaskin, looking towards Church Island
Location within Ireland
|Other names||Eas-mac-neire; Inis-mac-n-erin; Insula-Macnery; Insula-Machum; Inch-vicrinni|
|Order||Canons Regular (Augustinians)|
|Mother house||Arrouaise Abbey|
|Location||Church Island, Lough Key, County Roscommon|
|Official name||Inchmacnerin Abbey (Church Island)|
Inchmacnerin Abbey is located on Church Island, an island of 2.1 ha (5.1 ac) in the western part of Lough Key.
A monastic site existed on the island from the 6th century AD, supposedly founded by Columba (Saint Colum Cille). The name derives from Inis Mac nEirinn, "island of a son of Ireland",
It was dissolved c. 1569 and the land granted to William Taaffe in 1596.
- "Inis Mac nÉirín/Church Island". Logainm.ie.
- "Kilbrine". Libraryireland.com.
- "National Monuments in State Care : Ownership & Guardianship : Roscommon" (PDF). Archaeology.ie. 4 March 2009. Retrieved 12 October 2018.
- "Stock Images, Medical Scientific & Historical Photos". Diomedia.com.
- Hennessy, W. M. (15 November 2012). "The Annals of Loch Cé: A Chronicle of Irish Affairs from AD 1014 to AD 1590". Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9781108048880.
- "5689 « Excavations". Excavations.ie.