Imperatorsky pavilyon railway station
The Emperor railway station or Tsarskoye Selo Imperial Station, known as the Imperial Pavilion (in Russian: Императорский павильон), is a former Tsarskoye Selo Railway station (now in Pushkin, Saint Petersburg), which served the Imperial Tsarskoye Selo Railway.
Tsarskoye Selo Imperial Station from the North West
|Location||Akademicheskiy Prospect, Pushkin, Saint Petersburg|
|Structure type||Russian Revival architecture|
|Opened||1895 (current building 1912)|
The first station
In 1895, at the beginning of the reign of Tsar Nicholas II, that an imperial pavilion was built to accommodate the Imperial family when traveling by train from St. Petersburg to the Alexandrovskaya station, which served Tsarkoye Selo. Approved on 30 June 1895, a wooden Imperial Pavilion with a covered platform were built. The pavilion was asymmetrical in plan and had only 4 rooms. The total area of the building was 24.38 square meters. A year later, on 9 August 1896, a project for an extension to the Imperial Pavilion was approved . The total area of the pavilion increased to 41.7 square meters. The so-called Imperial branch of the Moscow-Vindava-Rybinsk railway, starting at the Imperial Pavilion adjacent to the Vitebsky railway station opened in 1902. It started at Vitebsk station, where a special pavilion for the Emperor and his relatives was built in 1902. It ran parallel to the main line of the Tsarskoye Selo Railway and then branched south west at the village of Kouzmino. In 1903, the line was extended to the Imperial pavilion. It was designated for members of the imperial family and representatives of foreign powers. ;
The second station
The pavilion burned down in January 1911 and a new construction project was presented by Vladimir Pokrovsky, one of the favorite architects of Tsar Nicholas II, who had just completed the construction of the Feodorovsky cathedral, which served as a family parish church for the Emperor and his family. The railway station was completed in 1912. A long alley of lime trees still leads to the Feodorovsky Imperial Cathedral and then a paved road leads to the Alexander Palace, located one kilometer from the station. After the revolution the station is renamed " Uritsky Pavilion" in 1918 and closed a few years after the Second World War. The pavilion itself suffered from damage during the German occupation.
The style of the pavilion is Russian Revival architecture, as with the village Feodorovsky and its buildings (the cathedral, the personal guardhouse of the Emperor, the Palace of Arms, etc.) which are all nearby. The platforms were two hundred meters long and were covered over a hundred metres. The entrance was preceded by a porch with a pointed roof supported by four pillars and surmounted by a two-headed eagle decorated with kokoshniks. The interior of the pavilion is adorned with frescoes imitating the 16th-century moscovite frescoes, carried out by the artists of the Moscow workshop of the "Heirs of P. P. Pashkov" under the supervision of its co-owner Nikolai Pavlovich Pashkov.
During the 1990s the building was used as an unofficial disco until it suffered a fire.
On 18 March 2008, the Property Fund held tenders for the sale of rights to conclude lease agreements for the pavilion building, which was to be named "Tsarskoye Selo Station" (Pushkin, Academic Ave, 35b, lit. A). The auction winner was OOO Sansara, which concluded the contract for a period of 49 years. The possible use of the object was as a shopping mall or restaurant.
In 2010 on the 300th anniversary of Tsarskoe Selo, it was planned to restore the pavilion. But this did not happen.
The pavilion is currently in a pitiful state and almost in ruins. The sharp-pointed roof of the entrance door of honor has collapsed and been replaced with plastic coated roofing sheet. The stone carvings on the facade have survived, as well as the murals of the vaults of the front porch and some interiors have also survived. Bullet holes and shrapnel holes from the Second World War are visible on the rear / north façade where the platforms used to be. The platforms and platform canopy no longer exist.
A company called Umnaya Bumaga, OOO/ "Clever Paper" produce a 1:150 card/paper model of the station building.
- RGIA, Fund 350, Inventory 44, Case 773
- RGIA, Fund 350, Inventory 44, Case 774
- "Tsarskoselskaya Gazeta. - September 7, 2002. - No. 70 (9392)".
- "Tsarskoselskaya Gazeta. - 12 October 2002. - No. 80 (9402)".
- "Architectural monuments of the 19th and 20th centuries in Pushkin were leased out".