Illich Steel and Iron Works
Illich Iron & Steel Works (Ukrainian: Маріу́польський металургі́йний комбіна́т і́мені Ілліча́ - literally "Mariupol Metallurgical Plant named after Illich") is the second largest metallurgical enterprise in Ukraine, after Kryvorizhstal. It is located in Mariupol'.
|Joint Stock Company|
|Volodymyr S Boiko (CEO)|
Number of employees
The works produces the hot-rolled and cold-rolled steel of wide assortment, including for ship building, oil pipeline, boring gas pipeline and water-pipes. The company is the sole enterprise of Ukraine which produces galvanized steel and tanks for liquid gases.
The products of the company are certificated by international classification societies: By the Lloyd's Register (Great Britain, Germany), U.S. Bureau of Naval Personnel, by the Marine register of navigation (Russia), by the German certification center TTSU, etc. The company exports the products to more than 50 countries of the world.
The enterprise is a recipient of the following awards:
- "Golden Globe" - for competitive and high-quality products
- "Golden Mercurius" - for high progress in the export of products, for participation in development of economy of country
- "Golden Scythian" - for creation of new workplaces
On April 19, 1896 the Americans Rothstein and Smith were given a permission from the Russian government to establish the Nikopol-Mariupol Mining and Metallurgical Society. The year of 1897 is considered the year of establishment of the today's Illich Mariupol steel and iron works, when in Mariupol was mounted and gave out the first products pipe workshop of Nikopol-Mariupol mining- metallurgical society.
The location of factory in a Mariupol city was advantageous from geographical position which provided the closeness of raw materials and fuel resources, presence of marine auction port, labor force of peasants from the nearest villages. The factory broadened to beginning the twentieth age became a major metallurgical enterprise at the South of Russia.
It is finally picked up thread after World War I and the Civil War in 1927, the factory began to develop as a comprehensive machine-building enterprise. The factory received its modern name in the 1920s when the Petrograd sovnarkom confiscated all of the property from the previous owners during the nationalization of all the industry in the region and to commemorate the leader of the October Revolution, Vladimir Lenin. Later its powers of operating productions were broadened and new subdivisions were built: new-pipe, thick-sheet, sheet-finishing workshops, a number of other workshops.
In 1941 the enterprise passes to the issue of defensive types of products, including armor plating for the tank T-34, production of which it was mastered at the plant before World War II. In the war-time the most valuable equipment dismantled and it is sent on the factories of Ural and Siberia, and blast-furnace and martin stoves are put out of action. After the liberation of Mariupol, at the end of 1944, the plant only had 70% of its production power, but it almost immediately started shipping armored steel to the war front.
In 1954–1969 years the company experienced its second birth. The reconstruction of high furnaces was conducted at this time, three more high furnaces were built, as long as a martin workshop with the highest number of stoves in the world, an oxygen-converter workshop, squeezing-steel workshop 1150, workshops for hot and cold rolling, an agglomerative factory (the largest in Europe), a complex of workshops for auxiliary production. The first products in 1983 - strips for production of large diameter pipes - brought a thick-sheet workshop 3000, one of the most modern in Europe.
The company got the powerful impulse of development in the last decade. The enterprise built several new facilities, including an electric-welded pipe and limekiln department, two machines for continuous casting of purveyances, setting for the complex lapping of steel and energetic block in a converter to the workshop, modernisation and reconstruction of equipment is conducted in most base workshops.
An important event in history of the enterprise took place in November 2000, when the Ukrainian Parliament passed the Act "About the features of privatisation of JSC "Illich Mariupol iron and steel works", according to which the collective got the right to count itself the proprietor of the enterprise.
Prior to 2016 the plant was named after Communist leader Vladimir Lenin. On 25 April 2016 due to decommunization laws in Ukraine it was "renamed" in honour of scientist Zot Illich Nekrasov, so it is still called Маріупольський металургійний комбінат імені Ілліча (literally - Mariupol Metallurgical Plant named after Illich). Because of this manipulation, Mariupol citizens started to call it "Plant after not-that-Illich".
- Metallurgical subdivisions
- agglofactory (the largest in Europe)
- blast-furnace shop
- converter workshop
- open-hearth shop
- limekiln department
- flat rolling mill 1150
- flatting-mill 1700
- flatting-mill 3000
- flatting-mill 4500
- cold-finished products workshop
- electric-welded pipe mill
- tube mill
- balloon workshop
- metallurgical-chemical factory (urban village Donske of Volnovakha district), makes ferroalloys, silicon monocrystalline and other
- mining subdivisions
- Machine-building subsections
- Transport subdivisions
- Management of public food consumption and trade
- 50 points of retail business, cafes, bars, restaurants
- plot of processing of meat
- plot of processing of milk and soft drinks (Mariupol milk plant)
- plot of processing of fish (Mariupol fish cannery)
- factory of pastry wares
- vegetable base and other
- The pharmacy network "Illich-Farm"
- Agricultural complex
- Workshops of commodities of folk consumption and arts and crafts
- Financial-insurance establishments
- the insurance company "Illichivska"
- Informative center of combine
- Mariupol city television (MTV)
- the "Illichivets newspaper"
- Build organizations
- Sporting organizations
- Cultural organizations
- The Metallurgov recreation centre is a great hall in the town
- public establishments (women, youth, advice of Chernobyl rescuers and other)
- Social establishments
- medical center
- child's out-of-school and preschool establishments
- health resort hotels (including on the South shore of Crimea)
- child's sanatoriums and other.
- TOP 500 COMPANIES Central and Eastern Europe FINANCIAL TIMES
- WHY MARIUPOL RESIDENTS ARE HUNGRY FOR A BIG MAC, Newsweek (6/9/2015)
- Mariupol Plant after Illich will be renamed after another Illich (DOCUMENT) - 0629.com.ua (ru.)
- Mariupol citizens captured air pollution by Plant after not-that-Illich - Public TV of Azof (uk.)