Ilha de Vera Cruz
Ilha de Vera Cruz (Portuguese pronunciation: [ˈiʎɐ ðɨ ˈvɛɾɐ ˈkɾuʃ], [ˈiʎɐ dʒi ˈvɛɾɐ ˈkɾu(j)s]) (Portuguese for Island of the True Cross) was the first name given by the Portuguese navigators to the newly discovered land on the northeast coast of what later became known as Brazil. The name was later changed to Terra de Santa Cruz (Land of the Holy Cross).
When the discoverers, under Pedro Álvares Cabral, first officially touched land in South America on April 22, 1500, they thought they had found an island, as reflected in the chosen name. They took possession for the Kingdom of Portugal of what was believed to be an island of strategic importance on a western connection between Portugal and the Moluccas and other islands of the East Indies. This discovery marked the beginning of Portuguese colonization in South America. The name was changed to Terra de Santa Cruz when it was realized that it was not an island, but in fact part of a continent.