|Directed by||Dino Risi|
|Produced by||Mario Cecchi Gori|
|Written by||Ettore Scola|
Age & Scarpelli
Peppino De Filippo
Anna Maria Ferrero
|Music by||Pippo Barzizza|
|Edited by||Eraldo Da Roma|
February 1, 1963(US)
Gerardo, an aspiring actor, trying unsuccessfully to cross over from comedy to tragedy, is involved, due to his ability to mimic dialects of Italy, in a scam concocted by Lallo against a rich cloth-merchant. His inexperience means that he is the only one to be arrested and sentenced to several months in prison, where he encounters a vast array of petty criminals, devoted primarily to scams of various kinds. He befriends Chinotto, a con man for whom the doors of the prisons are like "revolving doors of a large hotel."
- Vittorio Gassman ... Gerardo Latini
- Peppino De Filippo ... De Rosa, aka "Chinotto"
- Dorian Gray ... Elena
- Anna Maria Ferrero ... Annalisa Rauseo
- Mario Carotenuto ... Lallo Cortina
- Alberto Bonucci ... Gloria Patri
- Fosco Giachetti ... General Benito Mesci
- Luigi Pavese ... The industrialist
- Nando Bruno ... Owner of restaurant
- Linda Sini ... Laura, wife of Chinotto
- "IMDB.com: Awards for Il Mattatore". imdb.com. Retrieved 2010-01-17.