Identification badges of the Uniform Services of the United States
Identification badges of the Uniformed Services of the United States are insignia worn by service members conducting special duties, many of which can be awarded as permanent decorations if those duties are performed successfully. There are a few identification badges that are awarded to all services (such as the Presidential Service Badge), others are specific to a uniform service (such as the U.S. Army's Drill Sergeant Identification Badge). The Office of the President and Vice President and department/service headquarters badges are permanent decorations for those who successfully serve in those assignments. Some of the service level identification badges can be permanent decorations and others are only worn by a service member while performing specific duties, such as the Military Police Badge.
Command insignia/badges are another form of identification badge used to identify an officer or non-commissioned officer who is/was in command or in-charge of a unit. If the service member performs their leadership duties successfully, the command insignia/badge they wear can become a permanent uniform decoration regardless of their next assignment.
The following is a list of identification badges currently in use by the uniformed services:
Department of Homeland Security
Department of Health and Human Services
Department of Commerce
- The Military Horseman Identification Badge (Image 4 of 5), DVIDS, by SPC Gabriel Silva, dated 29 September 2017, last accessed 2 October 2017
- U.S. Army Pamphlet 670–1: Uniform and Insignia, Guide to the Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms and Insignia Archived 2014-05-06 at the Wayback Machine, Department of the Army, dated 31 March 2014, last accessed 23 June 2014
- U.S. Navy Uniform Regulations, Chapter 5, updated 24 March 2011, last accessed 3 August 2013
- U.S. Air Force Instruction 36-2903: Dress and Personal Appearance of Air Force Personnel, dated 1 March 2013, last accessed 11 January 2014
- U.S. Marine Corps Order P1020.34G: Marine Corps Uniform Regulations, Chapters 1-5, Permanent Marine Corps Uniform Board, dated 30 March 2003, last updated 16 May 2008, last accessed 15 February 2015
- U.S. Coast Guard Uniform Regulation, M1020.6H, updated April 2013, last accessed 29 September 2013
- U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Manual, COMDTINST M16790.1G, dated 17 August 2011, last accessed 8 August 2016
- U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps PPM 08-019, Wear of Skill and Breast Badges Archived 2012-04-26 at the Wayback Machine, dated 28 Aug 08, last accessed 10 December 11
- U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Corps Directive, Chapter 12, Part 6, Insignia, Medals, and Ribbon Bars, dated 21 November 2003, last accessed 31 March 2013