Iain Henderson (Royal Navy officer)
|Born||1 April 1948|
|Commands held||Naval Air Command|
|Awards||Companion of the Order of the Bath|
Commander of the Order of the British Empire
Early life and education
Henderson joined the Royal Navy and trained as a helicopter and fast jet pilot, including a secondment to the RAF where he flew Phantom interceptors our if RAF Leuchars. He became second-in-command of the frigate HMS Plymouth and saw action during the Falklands War. He went on to be commanding officer of the frigate HMS Ariadne, the frigate HMS Charybdis and the frigate HMS London. In HMS London he saw action during the Gulf War. He went on to command RNAS Yeovilton and HMNB Portsmouth.
After his retirement from the navy, Henderson joined the third sector. From 2001 to 2007, he served as Chief Executive of Sue Ryder Care, a British social care charity. From 2002 to 2006, he was Gentleman Usher of the Scarlet Rod. His final duty as Gentlemen Usher of the Scarlet Rod occurred in May 2006, during that year's Installation of Knights. In June 2006, he was appointed Registrar and Secretary of the Order of the Bath.
- "HMS Ark Royal & the Harrier. An Admiral's view". Signal Business Consulting. 6 December 2010. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- "Henderson, Rear Adm. Iain Robert". Who's Who 2019. Oxford University Press. 1 December 2018. Retrieved 14 June 2019.
- "Falklands Order of Service". Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- "Hospice to close despite campaign". BBC News. BBC. 20 November 2001. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- "Movers: Paul Woodward, chief executive, Sue Ryder Care". Third Sector. 23 May 2007. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- "Court circular". The Times. 18 May 2006. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- "Court circular". The Times. 14 June 2006. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- "Order of Service" (pdf). Westminster Abbey. 9 May 2014. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- "Court Circular: 10 May 2014". The Times. 10 May 2014. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- "Hampshire Lieutenancy". The Times. 19 July 2006. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
Air Vice Marshal Richard Peirse
| Gentleman Usher of the Scarlet Rod
Major General Charles Vyvyan