I Love Trouble (1994 film)
I Love Trouble is a 1994 American romantic comedy film starring Julia Roberts and Nick Nolte. It was written and produced by the husband-and-wife team of Nancy Meyers and Charles Shyer, and directed by Shyer.
|I Love Trouble|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Charles Shyer|
|Produced by||Nancy Meyers|
|Written by||Charles Shyer|
|Music by||David Newman|
|Edited by||Walter Murch|
|Distributed by||Buena Vista Pictures|
|Box office||$61.9 million|
A young married couple is taking photos near a train ready to leave on their honeymoon. They are bumped into by an unknown man who appears to be in a bad mood. After the train takes off, there is a terrible accident, the train derails and many people die.
Two boys come to the scene of the wreckage to steal luggage. In the meantime, Chicago reporters Sabrina Peterson and Peter Brackett work for different newspapers and have a rivalry.
One of the boys calls Sabrina and tells her he's found some interesting evidence she may want to purchase. Sabrina goes to meet the boy but by the time she gets there, he's been killed and his apartment trashed. She notices part of a code on his hand, clearly something he was writing right before he was killed. Sabrina grabs a pen, writes down the code, and runs out of the apartment.
- Julia Roberts - Sabrina Peterson
- Nick Nolte - Peter Brackett
- Saul Rubinek - Sam Smotherman/Ernesto Vargas
- James Rebhorn - The Thin Man
- Robert Loggia - Matt Greenfield, Chronicle Editor
- Kelly Rutherford - Kim
- Olympia Dukakis - Jeannie, Peter's Secretary
- Marsha Mason - Senator Gayle Robbins
- Eugene Levy - Justice of the Peace
- Charles Martin Smith - Rick Medwick
- Dan Butler - Wilson Chess
- Paul Gleason - Kenny Bacon
- Jane Adams - Evans
- Lisa Lu - Virginia Harvey
- Nora Dunn - Lindy
- Megan Cavanagh - Mrs. Delores Beekman
According to Nolte, it's the worst film he has ever appeared in. He felt he sold his soul by doing it, and he did it only for the money. As a result, he was tense while on the set, and did not have a good working-relationship with Julia Roberts. Roberts has on her part called Nolte the worst actor she has ever worked with. I Love Trouble currently holds a 22% rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 46 reviews.
Elmer Bernstein originally wrote the underscore, but his music was thrown out and David Newman called in at such a late stage that posters with Bernstein's name on the credits were already displayed. With only two weeks to rescore the film, Newman - who usually orchestrates the bulk of his scores himself - utilized a small army of orchestrators to help him complete the score: Scott Smalley, Chris Boardman, William Kidd, Peter Tomashek, Steven Bramson, Christopher Klatman, Don Davis, Joel Rosenbaum, Arthur Kempel (misspelt "Kempl" in the end credits), Mark McKenzie, Brad Warnaar (misspelt "Warner" in the end credits) and John Neufeld. The soundtrack album was released by Varèse Sarabande, including a cover version of the Smokey Robinson song "You've Really Got A Hold On Me"; only Smalley and Boardman receive orchestrator credit on the album (however, Ross receives an acknowledgement - as does Alan Silvestri, who was also attached to the project).
- Here's Peter (5:09)
- Here's Sabrina (1:54)
- Calling All Boggs (1:15)
- Honeymoon Night (4:55)
- Two Scoop Snoops (3:39)
- Everybody Buys the Globe (:46)
- Scoop de Jour (3:15)
- Sabrina's Hip (1:04)
- Wild Goose Chase (1:16)
- The Beekman Agreement (2:02)
- Keyhole Foreplay (1:20)
- Happily Ever After (2:21)
- "I Love Trouble" (3:43)
- You've Really Got a Hold On Me - Robbyn Kirmsse (3:37)
- Brew, Simon (27 September 2013). "14 Co-stars Who Really Didn't Get Along". Dennis Publishing. Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- "Famous co-stars who absolutely hated each other". News.com.au. 4 November 2014. Retrieved 28 May 2015.
- "Movie Review : 'I Love Trouble'--Yes, Indeed : Nolte, Roberts and Newsprint. Light and Frothy It Isn't". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2012-06-02.
- "FILM REVIEW: I Love Trouble; Nick Nolte and Julia Roberts As Crime-Fighting Rival Reporters". The New York Times. Retrieved 2012-06-02.
- "I Love Trouble". Chicago Sun Times. Retrieved 2012-06-02.
- Box Office Mojo
- "'I Love Trouble' Doesn't Report Whole Story". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2012-06-02.
- "Trouble on 'Trouble' Set? : Take your pick: (a) co-stars Julia Roberts and Nick Nolte got on each other's nerves; (b) the filmmakers got on their nerves; (c) snoopy questions are getting on everyone's nerves". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2012-06-02.
- Nick Nolte - Biography TalkTalk
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: I Love Trouble (1994 film)|