I Lived with You
I Lived With You is a 1933 British romantic comedy film directed by Maurice Elvey and starring Ivor Novello, Ursula Jeans and Ida Lupino. It is based on the West End hit play I Lived With You by Novello.
|I Lived With You|
|Directed by||Maurice Elvey|
|Produced by||Julius Hagen|
|Written by||Ivor Novello (play) |
George A. Cooper
H. Fowler Mear
|Starring||Ivor Novello |
|Music by||W.L. Trytel|
|Edited by||Jack Harris|
|Distributed by||Woolf & Freedman Film Service|
A young cockney shop girl meets a penniless Russian prince and takes him home to live with her family. His presence creates chaos in the girl's humble Fulham home. It turns out he has a secret cache of diamonds given him by the last Czar, and is persuaded to start selling them.
- Ivor Novello as Prince Felix Lenieff
- Ursula Jeans as Gladys Wallis
- Ida Lupino as Ada Wallis
- Minnie Rayner as Mrs. Wallis
- Eliot Makeham as Mr. Wallis
- Jack Hawkins as Mort
- Cicely Oates as Flossie Williams
- Beryl Harrison as Miss Violet Bradshaw
- Douglas Beaumont as Albert Wallis
- Victor Bogetti as Thornton
- Davina Craig as Maggie
TV Guide wrote, "originally a play by Novello, who transplanted almost the entire cast for the filmed version, the main exception to the stage cast being Lupino, who gave a strong emotional performance." and the Radio Times wrote, "it's all directed with a teasingly respectable salaciousness by Maurice Elvey, but of much greater interest to most film fans will be the pre-fame performances of Jack Hawkins and Ida Lupino." and BBC Wales Arts wrote, "this is a riotously funny film and Novello not for the first or last time on screen, operates, tantalisingly, on different layers. He's always aware of his screen spectator in the dark, but don't be misled - this performance doesn't reek of the greasepaint in the least. It's just that Novello has the rare ability to maintain a playful, ironic stance which many critics, even today, seem incapable of appreciating or recognising."
- "I Lived With You". BFI.
- Rose Thompson. "I Lived With You". RadioTimes.
- "I Lived With You". TVGuide.com.
- "BBC - Wales - Arts - Film - Top 10 Welsh film performances: Ivor Novello". bbc.co.uk.
- Low, Rachael. Filmmaking in 1930s Britain. George Allen & Unwin, 1985.
- Wood, Linda. British Films, 1927-1939. British Film Institute, 1986.