ISO 690 is an ISO standard governing bibliographic references in different kinds of documents, including electronic documents. This international standard specifies the bibliographic elements that need to be included in references to published documents, and the order in which these elements should be stated.
ISO 690 governs bibliographic references to published material in both print and non-print documents. The current version of the standard was published in 2010 and covers all kinds of information resources, including monographs, serials, contributions, patents, cartographic materials, electronic information resources (including computer software and databases), music, recorded sound, prints, photographs, graphic and audiovisual works, and moving images.
ISO 690 ranks among a number of ISO standards that bear on academic publishing, such as ISO 214, which establishes rules for abstracts; ISO 2145, which deals with numbering of divisions and subdivisions of written documents; and ISO 2014 and ISO 3166, which, respectively, establish the correct use of dates and country codes.
Punctuation and style are not part of the standard; largely, the standard governs content rather than presentation.
ISO 690 prescribes a referencing scheme with a fixed order of bibliographic elements in which the publication date appears after the "production information" of place and publisher, but it allows an exception for the Harvard system, in which the date appears after the creator name(s).
The standard allows for three citation methods: name and date ("Harvard system"), in which the creator's name and the year of publication of the resource cited are given in the text; numeric, in which numerals in the text – either in parentheses, brackets or superscript – refer to resources in the order in which they are first cited; and running notes, in which numerals in the text – either in parentheses, brackets or superscript – refer to notes, which are numbered in order of their occurrence in the text.
In 1997, ISO published a second part, devoted to the citation of electronic documents. As a consequence, the ISO 690 standard consisted of two separate parts from 1997 to 2010: ISO 690:1987, dealing with documents in general, and ISO 690-2:1997, dealing with electronic documents in particular.
Examples of citation (ISO 690:1987)
- Lominandze, DG. Cyclotron waves in plasma. Translated by AN. Dellis; edited by SM. Hamberger. 1st ed. Oxford : Pergamon Press, 1981. 206 p. International series in natural philosophy. Translation of: Ciklotronnye volny v plazme. ISBN 0-08-021680-3.
- Parts of a monograph
- Parker, TJ. and Haswell, WD. A Text-book of zoology. 5th ed., vol 1. revised by WD. Lang. London : Macmillan 1930. Section 12, Phyllum Mollusca, pp. 663-782.
- Contributions in a monograph
- Wringley, EA. Parish registers and the historian. In Steel, DJ. National index of parish registers. London : Society of Genealogists, 1968, vol. 1, pp. 155-167.
- Communication equipment manufacturers. Manufacturing a Primary Industries Division, Statistics Canada. Preliminary Edition, 1970- . Ottawa : Statistics Canada, 1971- . Annual census of manufacturers. (in English), (in French). ISSN 0700-0758.
- Articles in a serial
- Weaver, William. The Collectors: command performances. Photography by Robert Emmet Bright. Architectural Digest, December 1985, vol. 42, no. 12, pp. 126-133.
- Stayton, Bob (September 2007). "Customizing bibliography output". DocBook XSL: The Complete Guide (4th ed.). Santa Cruz, California: Sagehill Enterprises. ISBN 978-0-9741521-3-4.
- ISO 690:2010.
- ISO 690:2010, p. 1.
- Delgado López‐Cózar, p. 290.
- ISO 690:2010, p. 4.
- ISO 690:2010, pp. 25–27.
- ISO 690:1975.
- ISO 690:1987.
- ISO 690-2:1997.
- ISO 690:2010, p. v.
- Delgado López‐Cózar.
- Bertin and Atanassova.
- Bertin, Marc; Atanassova, Iana (July 2012). "Semantic Enrichment of Scientific Publications and Metadata: Citation Analysis Through Contextual and Cognitive Analysis". D-Lib Magazine. 18 (7/8). doi:10.1045/july2012-bertin. ISSN 1082-9873. Retrieved 2019-05-13.
- Delgado López‐Cózar, Emilio (1999). "ISO Standards for the Presentation of Scientific Periodicals: Little known and Little used by Spanish Biomedical Journals" (PDF). Journal of Documentation. 55 (3): 288–309. doi:10.1108/EUM0000000007147. ISSN 0022-0418.
- ISO 690:1975 – Documentation – Bibliographical References – Essential and Supplementary Elements (1st ed.). Geneva: International Organization for Standardization. 1975. Retrieved 2019-05-10.
- ISO 690:1987 – Documentation – Bibliographic References – Content, Form and Structure (2nd ed.). Geneva: International Organization for Standardization. 1987. Retrieved 2019-05-10.
- ISO 690-2:1997 – Information and Documentation – Bibliographic References – Part 2: Electronic Documents or Parts Thereof (2nd ed.). Geneva: International Organization for Standardization. 1997. Retrieved 2019-05-10.
- ISO 690:2010 – Information and Documentation – Guidelines for Bibliographic References and Citations to Information Resources (3rd ed.). Geneva: International Organization for Standardization. 2010. Retrieved 2019-05-10.
- Excerpts from ISO 690:1987 Information and documentation – Bibliographic references – Content, form and structure
- Excerpts from ISO 690-2:1987 Information and documentation – Bibliographic references – Part 2: Electronic documents or parts thereof
- Extracts from ISO 690-2 at Johannes Kepler Universitaet Linz
- ISO 690:2010(E) Online Browsing Platform
- ISO 690:2010