|Traded as||NYSE: INFO|
S&P 500 Component
|Founded||1959"IHS Markit - History". Retrieved 2018-04-16.</ref>|
|Lance Uggla (Chairman & CEO)|
|Revenue||US$3.6 billion (2017)|
|US$524.2 million (2017)|
|US$416.9 million (2017)|
|Total assets||US$14.554 billion (2017)|
|Total equity||US$8.004 billion (2017)|
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||Cambridge Energy Research Associates, Global Insight, Jane's Information Group, Carfax, Inc.|
Prime Publications Limited
John S. Herold, Inc.
Some parts of this company are pre-1800.
One part of this conglomerate originally was a firm that assigns IMO identification numbers for ships, companies and registered owners. It has since grown to incorporate other companies in the information services sector, many dating back to the late 1700s and 1800s. . These include: Cambridge Energy Research Associates, Global Insight, Jane's Information Group, Carfax, Inc., Prime Publications Limited, and John S. Herold, Inc.
In 2016 Englewood, Colorado–based IHS and London-based Markit merged. Information Handling Services (IHS) "was founded in 1959 as Information Handling Services to provide information for aerospace engineers through microfilm databases." Jerre Stead was the chief executive from 2006 to 2013 and from 2015 until the merger with Markit.
Markit was founded in 2003 as Mark-it Partners, a financial data provider for daily credit default swap pricing. The company grew via joint ventures and by acquiring other companies, merging with IHS in 2016.
IHS Markit acquisitions
- September 26, 2017: automotiveMastermind Inc., a provider of predictive analytics and marketing automation for the automotive industry.
- September 26, 2017: Macroeconomic Adviser, an independent research firm forecasting the US economy.
- August 03, 2018: Ipreo, software solutions and data provider in global capital markets.
- On September 18, 2008, IHS Inc. agreed to purchase the economics forecasting organization Global Insight for $200 million. .
- "Information Handling Services (IHS) ..."
- "IHS Markit Returns to Profit, Posts Better-Than-Expected quarterly results". Wall Street Journal. January 17, 2017.
The London-based data and analytics firm, formed by the 2016 merger of IHS Inc. and Markit Ltd.
- "About Us". IHSmarkit. Retrieved 2018-04-16.
- "IHS Careers".
We are over 14,000 professional thought leaders, subject matter experts, analysts and consultants from 34 countries who see the world through an entrepreneurial lens.
- Mark Harden (11 July 2016). "IHS, Markit shareholders OK $13B merger". Denver Business Journal. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- "IHS and Markit to merge in deal valued at more than $13B". CNBC.com. March 21, 2016.
IHS and Markit ... announced plans to merge
- "IHS Markit Rings Opening Bell at Nasdaq, Unveils New Logo" (Press release). IHS Online Newsroom. Retrieved 10 April 2018.
- "IMO Identification Numbers for Ships, Companies and Registered Owners / About". IHS Markit. Retrieved 19 August 2018.
- Picker, Leslie (March 21, 2016). "IHS and Markit, Providers of Data and Analytics, Agree to Merge". NYTimes.com.
- "Plumbers in suits". The Economist. July 6, 2013.
- Natalie Harrison (November 14, 2007). "Markit says buys IIC, agrees to buy CDS IndexCo". Reuters. Retrieved December 14, 2007.
- Markit USD Interest Rate Curve XML Specification (PDF) (Report). Markit. March 30, 2009.
- Dave Valiante (July 28, 2008). "JPMorgan's FCS Corporation Acquired By Markit". WallStreetAndTech.com (Wall Street & Technology). Retrieved September 21, 2008.
- "Markit Buying Owners of iTraxx, CDX Credit Indexes". Bloomberg. November 14, 2007. Retrieved December 14, 2007.
- William Alden (May 5, 2014). "Financial Data Company Markit Files for I.P.O." The New York Times. Retrieved May 5, 2014.
- "Markit IPO jumps after selling shares". USA Today. June 19, 2014.
- "LHS Markit History".
- "Norman L. Cahners". The New York Times. March 18, 1986.
- Robert Lee Brewer (1 September 2015). Writer's Market 2016: The Most Trusted Guide to Getting Published. "F+W Media, Inc.". p. 688. ISBN 978-1-59963-937-6.
- Lauren Ohnesorge (2 August 2018). "Amid IHS Markit buy, 'nothing changes' for Ipreo's 250-job Raleigh expansion, exec says". BizJournals.com]] (Triangle Business Journal).
- "Global Insight bought in deal worth $200m". J.Y. Design Blog. 19 September 2008. Archived from the original on 18 October 2008. Retrieved 16 June 2013.
- "Global Insight bought in deal worth $200m: Waltham research firm now under IHS umbrella with Cambridge Energy". Boston Globe. 19 September 2008.