IEEE Information Theory Society
The IEEE Information Theory Society (ITS or ITSoc), formerly the IEEE Information Theory Group, is a professional society of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) focused on several aspects of information: its processing, transmission, storage, and usage; and the "foundations of the communication process".
The foundation of the society was made in 1951 when the IRE Professional Group on Information Theory (PGIT) came together for the first time. This professional group was part of the Institute of Radio Engineers (IRE). With the merge of the IRE into the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) in 1963, the name was changed into IEEE Professional Technical Group on Information Theory, but one year later simplified into IEEE Information Theory Group. The final name IEEE Information Theory Society was taken in 1989.
IEEE ITS publishes the IEEE Transactions on Information Theory and the IEEE ITS Newsletter.
IEEE ITS sponsors widely attended conferences and workshops internationally each year. The flagship meeting of the Information Theory Society is the IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT).
The IEEE Information Theory Society confers several awards to recognize members and groups within the IT community for their excellence in research as well as their dedicated efforts on behalf of the Society.
- Claude E. Shannon Award
- Aaron Wyner Distinguished Service Award
- Information Theory Society Paper Award
- Communications Society & Information Theory Society Joint Paper Award
- Padovani Lecture
- James Massey Research and Teaching Award for Young Scholars
- Thomas Cover Dissertation Award
- Jack Keil Wolf ISIT Student Paper Award
- "About". IEEE Information Theory Society. Retrieved May 24, 2011.
- "IEEE Information Theory Society History". IEEE Global History Network. IEEE. June 10, 2010. Retrieved July 3, 2011.
- "Formation of IEEE by the Merger of AIEE and IRE". IEEE Global History Network. IEEE. November 6, 2010. Retrieved July 3, 2011.
- "Publications". IEEE Information Theory Society. Retrieved May 24, 2011.
- "Conferences". IEEE Information Theory Society. Retrieved May 24, 2011.