Hyskeir lies in the southern entrance to the Minch, 10 kilometres southwest of the island of Canna and 14 kilometres west of Rùm. Garbh Sgeir is a rock that lies next to the islet and the landing place for Hyskeir lies in the channel between the two. Both islands are unoccupied.
Òigh-sgeir is composed of hexagonal pitchstone columns.
The owner of the island in the 19th and early 20th centuries was Philip Ollas. At that time sheep from Canna were brought to make use of the summer grazing.
Hyskeir Lighthouse was established in 1904. The 39 metres (128 ft) high building marks the southern end of the Minch, warning of the presence of the Mills Rocks, the island of Canna and Hyskeir itself. It was designed by David and Charles Stevenson and constructed by Oban contractor Messrs D & J MacDougall. The white tower was manned until March 1997, becoming one of the last lighthouses in Scotland to be automated. The keepers were briefly known for their one-hole golf course following their appearance on television.
Hyskeir and its lighthouse feature extensively in Peter Hill's book Stargazing: Memoirs of a Young Lighthouse Keeper.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hyskeir.|
- from: Harvie-Brown, J.A. and Buckley, T. E. (1892), A Vertebrate Fauna of Argyll and the Inner Hebrides. Pub. David Douglas., Edinburgh. Facing p. XXIV
- "Hyskeir". Gazetteer for Scotland. Retrieved 15 September 2009.
- al.], C.H. Emeleus ; contributors: J.D. Hudson ... [et (1997). Geology of Rum and the adjacent islands : memoir for 1:50 000 geological sheet 60 (Scotland) (1. publ. ed.). London: Stationery Office. ISBN 978-0118845175.
- Maxwell, Gavin (1952). Harpoon at a Venture. quoted in "Studying Basking Sharks in Scotland: Research Diary". IFAW. Retrieved 2 November 2007.
- Murray, W.H. (1966) The Hebrides. London. Heinemann.