Hylands Park (London)
|Area||4.6 hectares (11 acres)|
|Operated by||Havering London Borough Council|
The land was purchased in 1920 by the owners of the Oak Public House in Victoria Road, Romford. In 1925 a trotting track was laid out on the land and a race meeting was held. Hornchurch Urban District Council was established in 1926 and in 1927 they purchased the land, to be laid out as public park. On October 1940 a Spitfire piloted by John McAdam from RAF Hornchurch narrowly avoided crashing in the crowded park, by crash landing in a gap between two houses.
The former trotting track has been converted to a large oval path, which encircles cricket and football pitches. The entrance to Osborne Road features stone and wrought iron gates that were transferred from nearby Grey Towers, that was demolished in 1931. There is a rose garden.