Hunter Valley Grammar School
Hunter Valley Grammar School (abbreviated as HVGS) is an independent non-denominational secular co-educational early learning, primary, and secondary day school, located in Ashtonfield, a suburb of Maitland, in the lower Hunter Region of New South Wales, Australia.
|Hunter Valley Grammar School|
|Type||Independent co-educational early learning, primary, and secondary day school|
|Motto||Success Through Endeavour|
|Sister school||Erasmus-Gymnasium in Grevenbroich, Germany|
|Educational authority||New South Wales Department of Education|
|Years||Early learning; K-12|
|Area||13 hectares (32 acres)|
|Colour(s)||Navy blue and white|
|School fees||A$8,964 - $18,009 per annum|
Hunter Valley Grammar School is affiliated with the Association of Heads of Independent Schools of Australia (AHISA), the Junior School Heads Association of Australia (JSHAA), the Association of Independent Schools of New South Wales (AISNSW), and Hunter Region Independent Schools (HRIS). The school is also an International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Program (PYP) and Middle Years Program (MYP) World School.
Students have the opportunity to participate in, English, Mathematics, Science, French, Japanese, German, Humanities (History and Geography), Visual Art, Music, Drama, Technology (Engineering, Textiles, Food Technology, Design Technology, IST, Hospitality, Agriculture), and PDHPE.
HSC electives include English Advanced and Extensions 1 and 2, Mathematics General and Extensions 1 and 2, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Earth and Environmental Sciences, Modern History, Ancient History, French, German and Japanese Continuers, Drama, Economics, Legal Studies, Business Studies, Geography, Society and Culture, Visual Arts, Photography, Music 1 and 2, PDHPE, Design and Technology and IST.
Students have the opportunity to explore academic-based co-curricular activities.
The ASX sharemarket Game, Australian Business Week and the Online Global Challenge are run by the Commerce faculty, whilst Debating, Chess, Tournament of Minds and Mock Trials are run through the English faculty.
HVGS students may participate in a variety of sports, mainly within the HRIS competition. Sports include rugby union, rugby league, soccer, netball, cricket, tennis, basketball, rowing equestrian, taekwondo, touch football, volleyball, athletics, hockey, golf, aerobics and snowsports. Most of these sports are undertaken on the school premises. These include an indoor multi-purpose hall (used for Basketball, Netball, Volleyball and Futsal) a rugby oval, soccer oval, cricket oval, two basketball courts, two tennis courts and cricket nets.
The school's rowing shed is located at Berry Park, Morpeth along the Hunter River. The rowing shed was upgraded to a two-story complex in 2015, allowing for more boats, training equipment, and improving the existing amenities. The school's annual regatta occurs at the beginning of November.
Hunter Valley Grammar School has maintained an active music program for its 25 years. It runs all Higher School Certificate (HSC) relevant music courses. In 2010 construction was completed on the Music Centre, connected to the Year 12 lounge from above.
Students perform at the annual HRIS and HICES cultural festivals and other similar events. Co-curricular activities include: the K-6 Choir; 7-12 Choir; Senior Vocal Ensemble; Junior and Senior Concert Band; Stage Band Senior; Senior Strings; K-6 Percussion Ensemble and the 7-12 Percussion Ensemble.
Hunter Valley Grammar School offers drama as a subject for students from grades 9 to 12.
The school presents an annual drama production; alternating between musicals and plays. Throughout the years Hunter Valley Grammar has put on a variety of productions including: Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Oh, What a Lovely War!, The Wizard of Oz, Hamlet, Moonlight Avenue, Death by Chocolate, Blabbermouth, Friday Knight Fever, A Midsummer Night's Dream, High School Musical, Community Spirits, Peter Pan, Beauty and the Beast, and most recently Grease.
- "Employment". Hunter Valley Grammar School. Archived from the original on 19 June 2009. Retrieved 12 May 2009.
- "About HVGS". Hunter Valley Grammar School. Archived from the original on 18 June 2009. Retrieved 12 May 2009.
- "JSHAA New South Wales Directory of Members". New South Wales Branch. Junior School Heads' Association of Australia. 2007. Archived from the original on 17 January 2008. Retrieved 12 March 2008.
- "Hunter Region". NSW Independent Schools by Region. Association of Independent Schools of New South Wales. Retrieved 12 March 2008.
- "International Baccalaureate". HVGS. Retrieved 16 June 2018.
- "HVGS Opportunities". HVGS. Retrieved 16 June 2018.
- "Representatives Sport Opportunities at HVGS" (PDF). Hunter Valley Grammar School. Retrieved 16 June 2018.
- "Sport". HVGS. Retrieved 16 June 2018.
- "HVGS School Map". HVGS. Retrieved 16 June 2018.
- "Rowing". HVGS. Retrieved 16 June 2018.
- "Duke of Edingurgh". HVGS. Retrieved 16 June 2018.
- "Seeking International Alliances". HVGS. Retrieved 16 June 2018.