Hovgaard Island (Kara Sea)
|Native name: |
Location in the Nordenskjold Archipelago
|Length||3 km (1.9 mi)|
|Width||0.9 km (0.56 mi)|
|Highest elevation||13 m (43 ft)|
|Federal subject||Krasnoyarsk Krai|
Hovgaard Island is located in the southwestern area of the archipelago on the northern side of the Matisen Strait. The island is 3 kilometers (1.9 mi) long and has a maximum width of little less than 1 kilometer (0.62 mi) in its southern part.
It is part of the Vilkitsky Islands (острова Вилькицкого) —also known as 'Dzhekman Islands'— subgroup of the Nordenskiöld Archipelago. The closest islands are Dzhekman Island 3.4 kilometers (2.1 mi) to the northwest and Ovalnyy Island 2.3 kilometers (1.4 mi) to the northeast. Hovgaard Island lies about 8 kilometers (5.0 mi) north of Nansen Island and less than 11 kilometers (6.8 mi) northwest of the NW point of Taymyr Island across the Matisen Strait.
In 1900, the islands of the Nordenskiöld Archipelago were explored by Russian Navy Captain Fyodor Matisen during the Polar Expedition on behalf of the Imperial Russian Academy of Sciences led by geologist Baron Eduard Von Toll aboard ship Zarya.
- Albert Hastings Markham. Arctic Exploration, 1895