|Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland|
|Location||115 Cavendish Square|
St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador
|Management||Sheraton Hotels and Resorts|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||George S. Burman|
|Number of rooms||301|
|Number of suites||14|
|Number of restaurants||2|
The original Newfoundland Hotel, an 8-storey brick structure, was opened in 1926 in St. John's. The hotel was owned and operated by the Newfoundland Hotel Facilities, Ltd. Ownership of the hotel was transferred to the Canadian National Railway hotel division in 1949 following Confederation.
In the early 1960s the hotel was renamed Hotel Newfoundland due to CN's new policy of making names more bilingual.
Canadian National Hotels built the current hotel in 1982 on an adjacent site as a replacement for the original Newfoundland Hotel. The building was named Hotel Newfoundland and is an 8-storey glass and concrete building designed by architect George S. Burman.
The hotel's ownership was transferred to Canadian Pacific Hotels in 1988 after that company acquired the Canadian National Hotels chain. With the breakup of Canadian Pacific Limited in 2001, CP Hotels bought Fairmont Hotels and Resorts and took on that smaller company's name. The hotel was renamed The Fairmont Newfoundland.