Horn Concerto No. 3 (Mozart)
|Horn Concerto in E-flat major|
|by W. A. Mozart|
The composer in 1782
|Movements||Three (Allegro, Larghetto, Allegro)|
The composition was written as a friendly gesture for the hornist Joseph Leutgeb (his name is mentioned few times in the score), and Mozart probably did not consider it as particularly important, since he failed to enter it to the autograph catalogue of his works. The autograph score remained well preserved; it is stored in the British Library in London.
The work is in 3 movements:
This concerto "has clarinets besides bassoons and string for accompaniment. They bring warmth and light colouring to this most attractive work, and in spite of unadventurous support they partner the bassoons in many typical phrases."
The main melody of the third movement is reminiscent of the theme from the rondo of Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 22 written in 1785.
Given its duration (about 15 minutes), the Concerto is typically grouped with Mozart's other three for the instrument, in boxed sets of Mozart's concerti for wind instruments or even all his concerti.
The Naxos Records CD "Complete Works for Horn & Orchestra" includes, besides the concerti, three rondos for horn and orchestra completed by musicologists.
William Purvis has recorded No. 3 along with No. 2, K. 417, with the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra for Deutsche Grammophon, on a disc which also includes Mozart's Oboe Concerto, K. 314 and Bassoon Concerto, K. 191. Like the other two soloists, Purvis improvised his own cadenza for the two horn concerti on the disc.
Fred Rizner has recorded this concerto together with K. 495 with the English Chamber Orchestra conducted by José Luis García Asensio on a Summit disc which also includes the Clarinet Concerto, K. 622 (with clarinetist Joaquin Valdepeñas).
- Mozart, W. A. Konzert in Es für Horn und Orchester, Nr.3. K 447 Klavierauszug (Piano Reduction), Bärenreiter. pg iv
- Mozart, W. A. (2000). Hornkonzert Nr. 3 Es-dur KV 447. Klavierauszug. Wiese, Henrik (preface). München: G. Henle Verlag. pp. II–III. ISMN M-2018-0703-4
- Mozart, W. A. Konzert in Es für Horn und Orchester, Nr.3. K 447 Klavierauszug (Piano Reduction), Bärenreiter. pg ii
- Mozart, W. A. Konzert in Es für Horn und Orchester, Nr.3. K 447 Klavierauszug (Piano Reduction), Bärenreiter. pg 2, 12 & 16
- Martha Kingdon Ward, "Mozart and the Clarinet" Music & Letters 28, 2 (1947): 140
- 423 6232 Product Info Archived 2012-10-17 at the Wayback Machine from Deutsche Grammophon website.