Hong Kong bus route numbering
The numbering systems of public buses can be classified into Hong Kong Island routes, Kowloon and New Territories routes, Lantau Island (New Lantao Bus) routes, MTR Bus routes, Cross harbour bus routes and Airport and North Lantau external bus routes. Their route numbering systems are independent. For example, there are both route 1, and route 2 on Hong Kong Island, Kowloon and Lantau Island respectively.
In the past, the air-conditioned bus routes were numbered as 200's (Kowloon and New Territories) and 500's (Hong Kong Island). However, this identification became void after they phased out all the non-aircon buses; and since then bus routes has been playing around with the old numbers.
At one time, there were two "N11" bus routes in Tung Chung, namely, Airport overnight route N11 and Lantau Island overnight route N11. The latter is no longer in service.
Public light buses
The numbering systems of public light bus (green minibuses) are classified into Hong Kong Island public light bus routes, Kowloon public light bus routes and New Territories public light bus routes. There are no public light bus in Airport or on Lantau Island. Their route numbering systems are independent too. However, for cross harbour public light bus routes, the route numbers from Hong Kong Island or New Territories are used instead.
Residential bus routes are the routes which are requested to operate by the residents or estates community. At the past, the route numbers are with a suffix "R". The first residential bus route was route 88R from City One Shatin to Kowloon Tong (MTR) (it was then renumbered 62R). From c. 2003, the route numbers have been changed as prefix "HR", "KR", and "NR". They stand for Hong Kong Island residential bus routes, Kowloon residential bus routes and New Territories residential bus routes respectively. There is no residential bus services on Lantau Island (except Discovery Bay) and the Airport.
Route numbering system for public buses
Note that xx represents numbers.
Hong Kong Island routes
Kowloon & NT routes
- Prefix A: Airport deluxe bus routes
- Prefix B: Border routes
- Prefix E: North Lantau external bus routes
- Prefix H: New World First Bus Rickshaw Sightseeing Bus routes
- Prefix K: MTR Bus (formerly KCR Feeder Bus) routes
- Prefix M: Some bus routes that are terminated at an Airport Express station
- Prefix N: Overnight bus routes
- Prefix NA: Overnight Airport deluxe bus routes
- Prefix P: City Direct bus services.
- Prefix R: Recreational bus routes (for Hong Kong Disneyland / Marathon)
- Prefix S: Airport shuttle bus routes
- Prefix T: Special express routes for relieving rail services: T270, T277
- Prefix X: Express routes for special services
- Prefix Y: Temporary route only in Typhoon: Y41
- Suffix A, B, C, D, E, F: Conventional routes
- Suffix H: Hospital routes
- Suffix K: Mainly connecting to East Rail Line (formerly KCR East Rail) stations of MTR
- Suffix M: Mainly connecting to the stations of Kwun Tong Line, Island Line, Tsuen Wan Line and Tseung Kwan O Line of MTR
- Suffix P: Peak-hour only routes (except KMB 8P, 276P, NWFB 8P, 18P, Citybus A29P, Long Win Bus A31P, A41P and New Lantau Bus B2P, which are for whole day service)
- Suffix R: Recreational bus routes
- Suffix S: Peak-hour only routes or special services
- Suffix X: Express services
- Routes or route ranges marked italic indicates that the route (or all the routes in the range) have been canceled already.
|Public buses||Public light buses||Residential buses|
|Hong Kong Island||Central and Western District, Wan Chai District, Eastern District||1-29 (except 4, 6, 7, 9, 14), 80-89, 380-389, 720-729, 780-789, N8-N8X||1-69||HR36, HR41-77|
|Southern District||4, 6, 7, 9, 14, 30-79, 90-99, 260, 314, 347, 590-599, N72, N90|
|Kowloon||Urban Kowloon||1-29, 200-229, 701-702, N216||1-85||KR21, KR22, KR41, KR42|
|New Territories (or traveling between Kowloon and New Territories)||Kwai Chung, Tsuen Wan, Tsing Yi||30-49, 230-249, 848, N237, N241||46M, 47M, 80-99, 301-313, 401-410, 481, 482||NR30-49, NR301-332, NR401-412|
|Tuen Mun||50-69, 250-269, 868, 869, 506, K51-K76, N260-N269||40-49, 140-142||NR70-79, NR700-758|
|Yuen Long||30-39, 70-79, 601-611, 616||NR90-99, NR901-956|
|Tai Po||70-79, 270-279, 872, K12, K14, K17, K18, N76-N271||20-26, 28||NR50-59, NR501-528|
|North District||50-59, 501||NR10-19, NR101-114|
|Sha Tin, Ma On Shan||80-89, 272A, 272K, 272S, 280-289, 885-891, N281||27, 60-69, 801-811||NR60-69, NR80-89, NR801-833|
|Sai Kung, Tseung Kwan O||90-99, 290-299, 790-799, 893, N293, N796||1-19, 101-111||NR20-29, NR201-NR214|
|Cross harbour bus routes||Cross-Harbour Tunnel routes||100-199, 301, N11, N118-N182, N368||Using numbers for Hong Kong Island or New Territories||Using numbers for Kowloon or New Territories|
|Eastern Harbour Crossing routes||302, 307, 373, 600-699, N619, N680, N691|
|Western Harbour Crossing routes||307C, 900-999, X962, N962, N969|
|Lantau Island and Airport routes||South Lantau routes||1, 4, N1||/||/|
|Ngong Ping (Po Lin Monastery) routes||2, 21, 23, 1R||/||/|
|North Lantau internal routes||34, 36, 37, 38, N38||/||/|
|Serving between North Lantau / Airport and South Lantau||3M, 11, A35, N35||/||/|
|Airport deluxe bus services||A10, A11, A12, A21, A22, A29, A31, A31P, A33, A35, A41, A41P, A43, NA21, NA29, NA33, NA34||/||DB02R|
|Airport shuttle routes||S1, S52, S52P, S56, S56P, S64, S64P||/||/|
|North Lantau external routes||Prefix E, N11-N42A||/||/|
|North Lantau recreational routes||R8, R33, R42||/||/|
|AsiaWorld-Expo special services||X1, X11, X21, X22, X33, X35, X41, X48||/||/|
|Discovery Bay routes||/||/||DB00R, DB01P, DB01R, DB02R, DB03R|
- "Route Introduction - Airport". lwb.hk. Long Win Bus Co. Ltd. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "Cityflyer Route". nwstbus.com.hk. Citybus Limited & New World First Bus Services Limited. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "Route Introduction - External". lwb.hk. Long Win Bus Co. Ltd. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "Route Introduction - Shuttle". lwb.hk. Long Win Bus Co. Ltd. Retrieved 28 August 2014.