Holmes, Northern Territory
|Population||0 (2016 census)|
|Established||4 April 2007|
|Time zone||ACST (UTC+9:30)|
|LGA(s)||City of Darwin|
Holmes is located at the eastern end of the Darwin urban area with its south-westerly corner being located near the intersection of the major roads of McMillans Road and Vanderlin Drive. Its southern end includes the protected area, the Holmes Jungle Nature Park, while its northern end includes the Shoal Bay Waste Management Facility, the waste management facility operated by the City of Darwin.
Holmes’ name is derived from Holmes Jungle, an area of uncleared vegetation now located within the suburb’s boundary, and ultimately from Felix Holmes, a resident of the Northern Territory during the 1920s and 1930s and who is described by one source as a “prominent NT citizen”. Holmes owned businesses including a “butchery, ice works, cordial factory and power station” and also “ran cattle in the (Holmes) Jungle.” The suburb’s boundary and name were gazetted on 4 April 2007.
The 2016 Australian census which was conducted in August 2016 reports that Holmes had no people living within its boundaries.
- "Search results for 'Holmes (Suburb)'". NT Place Names Register. Northern Territory Government. Retrieved 22 February 2019.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Holmes (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 22 February 2019.
- "Holmes Postcode (NT)". whatpostcode.com.au. Retrieved 22 February 2019.
- "Division of Wanguri". Northern Territory Electoral Commission SA. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- "Federal electoral division of Solomon". Australian Electoral Commission. Retrieved 22 February 2019.
- "Monthly climate statistics: Summary statistics DARWIN AIRPORT (nearest weather station)". Commonwealth of Australia , Bureau of Meteorology. Retrieved 22 February 2019.
- "Search result for 'Holmes'". NT Atlas. Northern Territory Government. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
Search instructions - Upon opening an NT Atlas window make the "Active layer" = "Localities", then click on "Search" from top bar menu and enter the locality / suburb you wish to view the extent of.
- "Search results for 'Holmes Jungle Nature Park '". NT Place Names Register. Northern Territory Government. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- "Overview - Shoal Bay Waste Management Facility". City of Darwin. Retrieved 23 February 2019.