Hochschule für Musik "Hanns Eisler"
The Hochschule für Musik Hanns Eisler (Hanns Eisler College or Academy of Music) in Berlin, Germany, is one of the leading music conservatories in Europe. It was established in East Berlin in 1950 as the Deutsche Hochschule für Musik (German College of Music) because the older Hochschule für Musik Berlin (now the Berlin University of the Arts) was in West Berlin. After the death of one of its first professors, composer Hanns Eisler, the school was renamed in his honor in 1964. After a renovation in 2005 the conservatory is located in both Berlin's famed Gendarmenmarkt and the Neuer Marstall.
Charlottenstraße 55, 10117 Berlin, Germany,
The Hochschule für Musik Hanns Eisler has a variety of ensembles including chamber music, choirs, orchestras and jazz.
The Hochschule is structured in four divisions and four instituts. It offers programs in accordion, composition, conducting, coaching, drums, guitar, harmony and counterpoint, harp, jazz, music theatre, opera direction, strings, timpani, piano and wind instruments. The 2002 founded Kurt-Singer-Institut specializes on research on health for musicians. Since 2003 the Institut für neue Musik deals with contemporary music. With the foundation of the Jazz-Institut Berlin in 2005, the conservatoire gained an international level in jazz education; David Friedman, John Hollenbeck, Judy Niemack and Jiggs Whigham are counted among the professors.
Every year, over 400 events are taking place – including concerts, opera productions, class recitals and exam concerts. The Hochschule collaborates with the Konzerthaus Berlin and the Berlin Philharmonic Foundation. In both these houses regular orchestral, choral and staff concerts are presented.
After the foundation of the German Democratic Republic (GDR), all music schools and the only music college were situated in the west of Berlin. Hence the GDR Ministry for Education decided to establish a music college in the east sector. On 1 October 1950 the Deutsche Hochschule für Musik was founded. Professor Dr. Georg Knepler was the first director of the school. The teaching staff included Rudolph Wagner-Régeny and Hanns Eisler (composition), Helmut Koch (conducting), Helma Prechter, Arno Schellenberg (voice), Carl Adolf Martiensse, Grete Herwig (piano), Gustav Havemann, Wilhelm Martens (violin), Bernhard Günther (cello), Werner Buchholz (viola) and Ewald Koch (clarinet).
Since 1964 the conservatoire has been named Hochschule für Musik Hanns Eisler Berlin. In 1950 a special school for music was founded. The convervatory built up a partnership with the Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach Schule.
In 1953 the program of opera and musical theatre stage direction was established, as two students were interested in this subject. Thus the conservatory became the first school in Europe to have a program of that kind.
Some notable former students
- Taner Akyol, composer
- Maria Baptist, pianist, conductor
- Thomas Böttger
- Caroline Fischer, pianist
- Vladimir Jurowski, conductor
- Sol Gabetta
- Marek Kalbus, bass-baritone
- Georg Katzer
- Akil Mark Koci
- Peter Konwitschny, opera and theatre director
- Jochen Kowalski, alto
- Siegfried Matthus, composer and opera director
- Vera Nemirova (born 1972), stage director
- Tilo Medek (1940–2006), composer
- Johannes Moser, cellist
- Anna Prohaska, soprano
- Michael Sanderling
- Guy D. Tuneh, double bassist
- Jörg-Peter Weigle
- Kahchun Wong, conductor
- Ji-Yeoun You, pianist
- Robert Zollitsch, composer
Some notable present and former staff
- Fabio Bidini (piano)
- Willy Decker (honorary professor of musical theatre direction)
- Hanns Eisler (composition)
- Michael Endres (piano)
- David Geringas (cello)
- Peter Konwitschny (opera direction)
- Gidon Kremer (violin and chamber music)
- Hanspeter Kyburz (composition)
- Hanno Müller-Brachmann (voice)
- Marie Luise Neunecker (horn)
- Boris Piergamienszczikow (cello)
- Thomas Quasthoff (voice)
- Kurt Rosenwinkel (jazz guitar)
- Rainer Seegers (visiting professor of percussion)
- Júlia Varady (opera interpretation)
- Katharina Wagner (opera direction)
- Rudolf Wagner-Régeny (composition)
- Dieter Zechlin (piano)
- Ruth Zechlin (composition, counterpoint, instrumentation)
- Tabea Zimmermann (viola)