The town hall of Hirson
Coat of arms
|Coordinates: 49°55′18″N 4°05′02″E|
|Intercommunality||CC Trois Rivières|
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||Jean-Jacques Thomas|
|33.77 km2 (13.04 sq mi)|
|• Density||280/km2 (720/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||157–268 m (515–879 ft) |
(avg. 189 m or 620 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Hirson is adjacent to Belgium. It is located in the northeastern department of Aisne, near the departments of Nord and Ardennes. Hirson is part of Thiérache. It is located near two large forests, the forest of Hirson and the forest of Saint-Michel.
Hirson is watered by the Oise and Gland. The various streams of the town: stream of Anor, stream of Brugnon, stream of La Marquette, stream of Les Marais, stream of Blangy, stream of Le Catelet, stream of Le Rie De Bon Feu, stream of Four Matot.
Geology and Relief
The culmination of Hirson is located 268 meters above sea level. The lowest altitude is 157 meters above sea level.
As of 1911, there was a permanent fort and two artillery batteries near the railway junction. Also at that time, the town was engaged in the manufacture of glass bottles, tiles and iron and tin goods, as well as wool-spinning and brewing.
The town is served by the Fives-Hirson railway.
The inhabitants of the town are called Hirsonnais.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hirson.|