Hipódromo Argentino de Palermo
The Hipodromo Argentino de Palermo is a horse racing course located in Buenos Aires, Argentina. One of the most prominent horse racing venues in Argentina, its installations include a 2,400 meters (1.5 miles) track suitable for races in all weather.
|Horse Race Track|
|Hipodromo Argentino de Palermo
|Location||Palermo, Buenos Aires, Argentina|
|Race type||Thoroughbred - Flat racing|
The establishment was founded on May 7, 1876, as the first racecourse in Buenos Aires, and the first National Derby was held there in 1884. The Jockey Club took over operations of the venue in 1883.
On its inauguration, the trains and streetcars of Buenos Aires were not enough to transport the large number of people who wanted to attend the event. However, close to 10,000 people witnessed the first race ever disputed at the Hipódromo, which was won by the horse "Resbaloso".
A sales floor for racing thoroughbreds, Tattersall de Palermo, was opened in 1898.
The original viewing stands were replaced by a Beaux Arts tribune designed by Louis Faure-Dujarric, in 1908.
The Hipódromo introduced a technology named "Photochart" in 1947. Photochart was a photographic device that registered the precise moment when the horses crossed the end line, thus simplifying the selection of the winner in neck-and-neck outcomes.
The Hipódromo de Palermo was renamed Hipódromo Argentino de Palermo in 1953, after the Peronist government nationalized the venue.
The addition, in 1971, of an electrical lighting system on the racetrack enabled night racing.
Palermo was re-privatized in 1992 with a concession to Hipódromo Argentino de Palermo Sociedad Anónima (HAPSA).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hipódromo Argentino de Palermo.|