Hilary Ockendon is a British applied mathematician and an expert on problems in fluid dynamics, such as the reduction of sloshing in coffee cups. She is an emeritus fellow of Somerville College, Oxford, the former president of the European Consortium for Mathematics in Industry, and the author of multiple books on fluid dynamics.
Education and career
She is the former director and an emerita member of the Oxford Centre for Industrial and Applied Mathematics at the University of Oxford, and a fellow emerita of Somerville College, Oxford. She was president of the European Consortium for Mathematics in Industry from 2001 to 2003.
Ockendon is married to coauthor and colleague John Ockendon.
Ockendon is the author of:
- Sorg, Lina (21 December 2017), "Mathematical model reveals solution to sloshing coffee", Research nuggets, SIAM News
- Hilary Ockendon at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "OCIAM" (PDF), Oxford Mathematical Institute Newsletter, 1: 6, March 2003
- Hilary Ockendon, University of Cambridge Centre for Science and Policy, retrieved 25 May 2019
- Past presidents, European Consortium for Mathematics in Industry, 2016-01-22, retrieved 25 May 2019
- Rundle, John B.; Turcotte, Donald (1996), "Turcotte receives Whitten medal", Eos: Transactions of the American Geophysical Union, 77 (10): 95, doi:10.1029/96eo00063
- Reviews of Inviscid Fluid Flows:
- Reviews of Viscous Flow:
- Reviews of Waves and Compressible Flow:
- Serre, Denis (2004), Mathematical Reviews, MR 2027679CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Ockendon, Hilary; Ockendon, John R. (2004), Applied Mechanics Reviews, 57 (6): B33, Bibcode:2004ApMRv..57B..33O, doi:10.1115/1.1849177CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Frank, K. (July 2004), AIAA Journal, 42 (7): 1502, Bibcode:2004AIAAJ..42.1502K, doi:10.2514/1.14206CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Chapman, C. J. (December 2004), Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 521: 380, Bibcode:2004JFM...521..380C, doi:10.1017/s0022112004001168CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Groves, M. (January 2005), ZAMM, 85 (1): 74, Bibcode:2005ZaMM...85...74G, doi:10.1002/zamm.200590004CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)