HighWire is a US company that provides digital content development and hosting services to ~140 influential societies, university presses and independent publishers that produce journals, books, and other scholarly publications. It was founded by Stanford University Libraries in 1995.
In 2017, it was announced that the entirety of the journals published by HighWire would be indexed in Meta.
In 1995, the Journal of Biological Chemistry (JBC) (1905) published by the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, was the first to launch online on the HighWire platform. Since then, a number of other journals use the technology service to develop and host their online content. Titles include, among many others:
- Science - American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) - National Academy of Sciences
- The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition - American Society for Nutrition
- Blood - American Society of Hematology
- BMJ - BMJ Group
- The EMBO Journal - European Molecular Biology Organization
- Journal of Cell Biology - Rockefeller University Press
- Cochrane Library - Wiley
- Springer Publishing Connect - Springer Publishing
- Diabetes - American Diabetes Association
- bioRxiv - Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
The organization has grown significantly since its inception in 1995. In addition to journals, HighWire produces and hosts ebooks, conference proceedings, databases, and more. They use open source technologies, such as Drupal, as part of the front end of the newest version of the websites.
Reviews and awards
While HighWire is primarily a hosting facility, a 2007 study showed that its search engine outperformed PubMed in the identification of desired articles, and yielded a higher number of search results than when the same search was performed on PubMed. PubMed, however, was faster.
HighWire was the recipient of the 2003 Association for Learned and Professional Society Publishers (ALPSP) Award for "Service to Not-for-Profit Publishing", and was named one of the "Ten to Watch" organizations in the Scientific, Technical & Medical information space in 2014 by Outsell. Founding Director John Sack was awarded the Council of Science Editors (CSE) 2011 Award for Meritorious Achievement.
In 2018, HighWire won the Best Business Intelligence Reporting & Analytics Solution award for their Vizors analytics product at the SIIA CODiE Awards.
- "About us". HighWire. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- Stanford University’s HighWire Press receives Growth Equity Investment from Accel-KKR
- "AI Tool Meta to Index All Content on HighWire Platform to Increase Rapid Discoverability". www.highwirepress.com. 22 June 2017. Retrieved 2018-03-15.
- "Free online full-text articles". HighWire. 2014-01-14. Retrieved 2014-02-03.
- Vanhecke TE, Barnes MA, Zimmerman J, Shoichet S (2007). "PubMed vs. HighWire Press: a head-to-head comparison of two medical literature search engines". Comput. Biol. Med. 37 (9): 1252–8. doi:10.1016/j.compbiomed.2006.11.012. PMID 17184763.