Heritage Council of Western Australia
The Heritage Council of Western Australia is the Government of Western Australia agency created to identify, conserve and promote places of cultural heritage significance in the state.
Prior to its creation, considerable variance in policy and political controversies arose over heritage issues in Western Australia, such as the Barracks Arch and the demolition of buildings in the Perth Central Business District.
It was created under the Heritage of Western Australia Act (1990). The Council maintains the State Register of Heritage Places.
The council also records and lists places that are listed in Municipal Heritage Inventories which are significant in local communities - but which do not gain state-level status.
It is sometimes incorrectly confused with the National Trust of Australia (W.A.), a non-government body which also assesses and classifies heritage places and buildings for inclusion on its own register. It also quite distinct from the Perth City Council body Heritage Perth, which deals with the City of Perth heritage issues.
- Hopkins, A. J. M (1986), Heritage legislation for Western Australia, retrieved 2 April 2012
- Western Australia (1990), Heritage of Western Australia Act 1990, Government Printer, retrieved 2 April 2012
- Heritage Council of Western Australia (1991), Heritage of Western Australia Act 1990, and Acts Amendment (Heritage Council) Act 1990 : a guide to the provisions of the acts, The Council, retrieved 2 April 2012
- Heritage Council of Western Australia; State Heritage Office. "About the State Heritage Register". Government of Western Australia. Archived from the original on 19 May 2015. Retrieved 22 June 2015. Additional archives: 22 June 2015.
- Heritage in WA at National Trust of Australia (W.A.)
- Heritage Council of Western Australia (1992), Place matters : the newsletter of the Heritage Council of Western Australia, The Council, ISSN 1326-7280
- Heritage Council of Western Australia (1997), Heritage matters, Heritage Council of Western Australia, ISSN 1328-357X also the regional Heritage updates
- https://www.dplh.wa.gov.au/information-and-services/historic-heritage/heritage-grants-and-incentives WA Heritage Awards
- "Heritage website". Heritage Council of Western Australia. Retrieved 14 June 2006.