Herb Sutter is a prominent C++ expert. He is also a book author and was a columnist for Dr. Dobb's Journal. He joined Microsoft in 2002 as a platform evangelist for Visual C++ .NET, rising to lead software architect for C++/CLI. Sutter has served as secretary and convener of the ISO C++ standards committee for over 10 years. In September 2008 he was replaced by P. J. Plauger. He then re-assumed the convener position, after Plauger resigned in October 2009. In recent years Sutter was lead designer for C++/CX and C++ AMP.
Education and career
Guru of the Week
From 1997 to 2003, Sutter regularly created C++ programming problems and posted them on the Usenet newsgroup comp.lang.c++.moderated, under the title Guru of the Week. The problems generally addressed common misconceptions or poorly understood concepts in C++. Sutter later published expanded versions of many of the problems in his first two books, Exceptional C++ and More Exceptional C++. New articles, mostly related to C++11, were published since November 2011.
The Free Lunch Is Over
"The Free Lunch Is Over" is an article from Herb Sutter published in 2005. It stated that microprocessor serial-processing speed is reaching a physical limit, which leads to two main consequences:
- Sutter, Herb (2004-04-01). "Trip Report: October–December 2003". Dr. Dobb's Journal. Retrieved 2009-05-21.
- Sutter's Mill, Herb Sutter's blog on software, hardware, and concurrency (2010-03-03). "Where can you get the ISO C++ standard, and what does "open standard" mean?". Retrieved 2011-10-16.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- Stefanus Du Toit, ISO/IEC C++ Standards Committee Paper N3003 (2009-12-04). "Minutes of WG21 Meeting, October 19, 2009" (PDF). pp. 10, 20–21. Retrieved 2010-04-10.
- comp.std.c++, George Ryan, Ville Voutilainen, Francis Glassborow, and Steve Clamage (2009-10-25). "Plauger resigned as convener?". Retrieved 2009-10-27.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- "About". Retrieved 2012-10-30.
- "WG21 (ISO C++ Committee) Members". isocpp.org.
- GotW category of the Sutter's blog
- Sutter, H. 2005. "The free lunch is over: A fundamental turn toward concurrency in software," Dr. Dobb's Journal, 30(3), http://www.gotw.ca/publications/concurrency-ddj.htm.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Herb Sutter.|