Helmet Steel Airborne Troop
The Helmet Steel Airborne Troops is a paratrooper helmet of British origin worn by Paratroopers and Airborne forces. It was introduced in Second World War and was issued to Commonwealth countries in the post-1945 era up to the Falklands War. As with the similarly shaped RAC helmet, it was initially manufactured by Briggs Motor Bodies at Dagenham.
The first prototype variant was used during the Bruneval Raid, these came with a rubber padding found on the rear. The helmets were short lived and replaced by the MkI.
The first steel helmet was produced at the BMB factory in 1941. These early "P Type" helmets only numbered between 500 and 1,000 units. The P Type featured a non-magnetic manganese steel shell with a rubberized rim and a lining with interior padding that was similar to the German M36/40 design.
The next step in the evolution of the British helmet came in 1942. This helmet featured a similar shell design, but with a thick vulcanized fiber band rim that clearly distinguishes it from the German model, along with a four-point chinstrap system and a band of sorbo rubber for padding. These earliest helmets used leather chins traps and are considered quite rare.
Second pattern, came with the same leather chinstraps and a steel rim instead of the fibre rim (issue October 1942).
Third pattern, came with the three-point webbing chinstrap. This variant was used after the Second World War up to the Falklands War. Some of the chinstraps were later used on the modern day kevlar para helmet.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Helmet Steel Airborne Troop.|
- World War II British Airborne arnhemjim.blogspot.com
- "Helmet used by SAS in France in 1944". iwm.org.uk. Retrieved 7 December 2017.
- "Steel Helmet, Royal Armoured Corps pat. (with net)". iwm.org.uk. Retrieved 7 December 2017.