Hello, Frisco, Hello
Hello, Frisco, Hello is a 1943 American musical film starring Alice Faye, John Payne, Lynn Bari, and Jack Oakie. The film was made in Technicolor and released by 20th Century-Fox. This was one of the last musicals made by Faye for Fox, and in later interviews Faye said it was clear Fox was promoting Betty Grable as her successor. Released at the height of World War II, the film became one of Faye's highest-grossing pictures for Fox.
|Hello, Frisco, Hello|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||H. Bruce Humberstone|
|Produced by||Milton Sperling|
|Written by||Robert Ellis|
|Cinematography||Charles G. Clarke|
Allen M. Davey
|Edited by||Barbara McLean|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
|Box office||$3.4 million (US rentals)|
The film tells the story of vaudeville performers in San Francisco, during the period of the 1915 Panama Pacific Exposition when Alexander Graham Bell made the first transcontinental phone call from New York City to San Francisco. The movie introduced the song "You'll Never Know", which was sung by Alice Faye and won an Academy Award for Best Original Song. Although Faye never made an official recording of the song, it is often named as her signature song.
The opening sequence, in its entirety, is used in the film Nob Hill (1945) as is the basic plot.
This film is a remake of King of Burlesque (1936)
- Alice Faye as Trudy Evans
- John Payne as Johnny Cornell
- Jack Oakie as Dan Daley
- Lynn Bari as Bernice Croft
- Laird Cregar as Sam Weaver
- June Havoc as Beulah Clancy
- Ward Bond as Sharkey
- Aubrey Mather as Douglas Dawson
- John Archer as Ned Clark
- Frank Orth as Sharkey's bartender, Lou
- George Lloyd as Foghorn Ryan
- Frank Darien as Missionary
- Harry Hayden as Burkham
- Eddie Dunn as Forman of Renovation Crew
- Charles Cane as O'Riley, Policeman
The film is recognized by American Film Institute in these lists:
- Mank, Gregory William (2018). Laird Cregar: A Hollywood Tragedy. McFarland.
- "Top Grossers of the Season", Variety, 5 January 1944 p. 54
- "AFI's 100 Years...100 Songs Nominees" (PDF). Retrieved 2016-07-30.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hello, Frisco, Hello.|
- Hello Frisco, Hello at the American Film Institute Catalog
- Hello, Frisco, Hello on IMDb
- Hello, Frisco, Hello at AllMovie
- Hello, Frisco, Hello at the TCM Movie Database