Hell (American band)
Hell is an American doom metal solo project, formed in 2008 by M.S.W., a multi-instrumentalist from Salem, Oregon. Hell began as a creative outlet for M.S.W., but it eventually gained momentum and grew to include a touring band. According to M.S.W., the project disregards typical religious themes and instead focuses on the concept of a "personal Hell".
Hell performing at Roadburn 2016
|Origin||Salem, Oregon, United States|
Initially I just used Hell as an emotional outlet, but when people started to ask when Hell would perform a live show, I started thinking about a possible lineup. I never thought Hell would be where it is today. I envisioned the project remaining a solo endeavor, which it has, but never thought it would ever get as far as full U.S. tours with a full perfect line up of session musicians or anything like that. Right now, we're about to take off to Europe which is unreal to think about.
In 2009, the project's first album, Hell I, was released through Woodsmoke as a cassette limited to 100 copies. The debut's followup, Hell II, was released a year later in 2010, and incorporated new subgenres of extreme metal for the project, like black metal. The conclusion of the initial trilogy, Hell III, was released in 2012 and adopted operatic and symphonic elements. After gathering an underground following, Hell performed at Roadburn 2016 and is scheduled to perform again at the festival's 2018 edition. In 2017, Hell released its self-titled album to critical acclaim.
Many of Hell's studio albums borrow their cover art style from the work of Gustave Doré, albeit tinted red.
- M.S.W. – songwriting, vocals, guitars, bass, drums
Additional touring members
- Liam Neighbors (A.L.N.) – drums
- Nate Meyers – bass
- Sheene Coffin – guitar
Past touring members
- Gina Hendrika Eygenhuysen – violin
- Kyle Wattson – drums
- Adam T. – drums
- Paul Reidel – guitar
- Kento Woolrey – guitar
- Hell (2015)
- Ancestortooth / Hell – with Ancestortooth (2009)
- Resurrection Bay – with Thou (2012)
- Amarok / Hell – with Amarok (2013)
- Live Split – with Hail (2013)
- Hell / Mizmor – with Mizmor (2014)
- Hell / Primitive Man – with Primitive Man (2019)
- Tour Through Hell 2013 (2013)
- Trilogy (2013)
- MMXVI (2014)
- Sheol (2014)
- Kelly, Kim. "HELL's Apocalyptic Doom Will Outlive Us All". noisey.vice.com. Vice. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- A, Ben (April 7, 2016). "Falling from Your Heavens: A Conversation with M.S.W. of Hell". blackmetalandbrews.com. Archived from the original on April 7, 2016. Retrieved February 18, 2018.
- "Hell official Facebook page (includes overview)". facebook.com. Facebook. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- Hell I (digital liner notes). Hell. Woodsmoke. 2009. canto 014. Retrieved April 15, 2018.CS1 maint: others (link)
- David, Cody. "Funeral Doom Friday: Getting Tormented By HELL's Nightmarish, Self-Titled Trilogy". metalinjection.net. Metal Injection. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- Davis, Cody. "Oregon Doomsayer HELL's Crushing Fury Returns In "Machitikos"". metalinjection.net. Metal Injection. Retrieved February 17, 2018.
- Handelman, Ben. "Hell to Perform Their S/T Album in Full at Roadburn 2018". roadburn.com. Roadburn Festival. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- Moore, Doug. "The Best Metal Albums of 2017". stereogum.com. Stereogum. Retrieved December 29, 2017.