Heart Beat (film)
Heart Beat is a 1980 American drama film written and directed by John Byrum, based on the autobiography by Carolyn Cassady. The film is about seminal figures in the Beat Generation. The character of Ira, played by Ray Sharkey, is based on Allen Ginsberg. The film stars Nick Nolte, Sissy Spacek and John Heard.
Early 1990s VHS cover
|Directed by||John Byrum|
|Produced by||Michael Shamberg|
Edward R. Pressman
|Music by||Jack Nitzsche|
|Edited by||Eric Jenkins|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros. Pictures|
|April 25, 1980|
The movie received generally mixed reviews, although the soundtrack was met with critical acclaim. According to Box Office Mojo, its worldwide gross receipts were $954,046, making the movie a box-office disappointment.
The film explores the love triangle of real-life characters Neal Cassady, Jack Kerouac, and Carolyn Cassady in the late 1950s and the 1960s. It chronicles Jack Kerouac writing his seminal novel On the Road, and its effect on their lives.
Musical score and soundtrack
|Soundtrack album by|
The score was composed by Jack Nitzsche and included the song "I Love Her Too" co-written by Buffy Sainte-Marie and sung by Aaron Neville and the soundtrack prominently featured saxophonist Art Pepper and other West Coast jazz musicians with the soundtrack album released on the Capitol label.
All compositions by Jack Nitzsche except where noted.
- "On the Road" - 3:16
- "Carolyn's Theme" - 1:53
- "Adagio for Strings" - 1:58
- "Three Americans" - 1:19
- "Jack's Theme" - 1:39
- "The World Is Waiting for the Sunrise" (Ernest Seitz, Gene Lockhart) - 2:10
- "I Love Her Too" (Jack Nitzsche, Buffy Sainte-Marie, John Byrum) - 3:50
- "Carolyn" - 3:18
- "Jam" - 2:28
- "Neal's Theme" - 1:55
- "901" - 3:01
- "Heart Beat" - 1:42
- Art Pepper - alto saxophone solos (tracks 1, 4, 5 & 9-11)
- Conte Candoli - trumpet
- Bud Shank - alto saxophone, flute
- Bob Cooper - tenor saxophone, oboe
- Pete Jolly - piano
- Max Bennett - bass
- Shelly Manne - drums
- Shorty Rogers - arranger
- Bob Enevoldsen - trombone
- Tommy Tedesco - guitar
- Frank Capp - drums
- Emil Richards - percussion
- Aaron Neville - vocals (track 7)
- Les Paul and Mary Ford - guitar and vocals (track 6)
- Unidentified Orchestra conducted by Alan Broadbent
- On the Road, a 2012 film adaptation of Kerouac's novel of the same name
- Heart Beat at Box Office Mojo
- Cassady, Carolyn (July 1976). Heartbeat: My Life with Jack and Neal. Creative Arts Book Company. ISBN 978-0916870034.
- Brenner, Paul. "Heart Beat > Overview". AllMovie. Retrieved 2010-08-30.
- "Heart Beat :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews". Rogerebert.suntimes.com. 1980-02-11. Retrieved 2010-08-30.
- Nitzsche On The Silver Screen accessed October 28, 2016
- Art Pepper catalog accessed October 28, 2016