He Found a Star
He Found a Star is a 1941 British musical film directed by John Paddy Carstairs and starring Vic Oliver, Sarah Churchill and Evelyn Dall. Its plot concerns a frustrated stage manager who quits his job and sets up a theatrical agency with the help of his secretary. Songs include Waitin' (Manning Sherwin & Harold Purcell) and Salome (Sarah Churchill).
|He Found a Star|
|Directed by||John Paddy Carstairs|
|Produced by||John Corfield|
|Based on||The Novel:|
Ring O' Roses by Monica Ewer
|Starring||Vic Oliver |
|Music by||Ben Frankel|
|Edited by||Michael C. Chorlton|
John Corfield Productions
|Distributed by||General Film Distributors (U.K.)|
|20 September 1941 (U.K.)|
The film's sets were designed by Alfred Junge.
Theatrical agent Lucky Lyndon (Vic Oliver) and his loyal secretary Ruth Cavour (Sarah Churchill) use their talent agency to discover unknowns. In his search for the next "big star," Lyndon attempts to promote ungrateful nightclub singer Suzanne (Evelyn Dall). Meanwhile, Ruth, who is madly in love with Lyndon, saves the day when the increasingly difficult Suzanne causes an upset.
- Vic Oliver as Lucky Lyndon
- Sarah Churchill as Ruth 'Ruthie' Cavour
- Evelyn Dall as Suzanne
- Gabrielle Brune as Diane
- J.H. Roberts as Mr. Victor Cavour
- Barbara Everest as Mrs. Cavour
- Joan Greenwood as Babe Cavour
- David Evans as Jimmy Cavour
- Robert Sansom as Dick Hargreaves
- Jonathan Field as Bob Oliphant
- Mignon O'Doherty as Mrs. Miley
- Peggy Novak as Madame
- Robert Atkins as Frank Forrester
- George Merritt as Max Nagel
- Raymond Lovell as Nick Maurier
- Uriel Porter as George Washington 'Wash' Brown
- Peggy McCormack as Rose, Lucky's date
- Charles Victor as Ben Marsh
- Cyril Chamberlain as Louie
- Jack Kellaway as Jack
- Sylvia Kellaway as Elsie
- Eileen Bennett as Sleepy
- Peter Saunders as Raymond Alvarez
Allmovie noted, "An average subject at best."
- "BFI | Film & TV Database | HE FOUND A STAR (1941)". Ftvdb.bfi.org.uk. 16 April 2009. Retrieved 20 February 2012.